Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF500

basshead56

Hey to all.
Haven't been on in ages but had to contribute to the PF500 issue as no one here seems to have gotten a go with one.
Well, just back from Wellington in the land down-under-er and I had a chance to play one with matching 210 cab while I was in Rockshop there.
All I can say is-wow!

First off, I'd never even heard of these-didn't know Ampeg had started a new line, though i had seen some stuff re a limited US made Portaflex combo.
Second i went in to try a tech 21 VT (still need one if anyone has one!)
saw this wee amp and cab sitting in the back and thought-gotta try that!
Picked up a HW1 P Bass and awy I went.
Serious boomage! Definately Ampeg tone. Really decent EQ. Heaps of bells and whistles on it. It really was great and at what i worked out as circa 500euros (999NZD) serious bang for the buck. The look is seriously retro and the cool little led light up top is a nice touch too. the fliptop bit is sweet too-saves on cases and transport mishaps I guess.

I bought a Micro VR from a fellow BCer last year and of all my gear back home, I miss that the most.
But I reckon i may go for the PF500 in a few weeks...
Will let you know.
Cheers,
Col

Thats very helpful Col. Been keeping my eyes out for a review of one of these from a serious Ampeg fan. Having read your views on gear before, we seem to appreciate the same type of amps, so thats a very favourable viewpoint. Have had to go lightweight, but these little guys may be the way forward for easily portable Ampeg tone, as the Micro VR lacks the comfort zone power that I like to have (even though it sounds great).

oh man this seems like the way forward for me.

500watts and cracking cabs too.

My only concern would be transporting the unit. Im sure you werent lifiting the cab about,,however what about handles??? I can only see 1 handle at the top of the cab. Is that the only way to shift these about and if it is how sturdy is it?

I'll be interested to try one of these too. I have an SVT 15" cabinet which I really like, and which is very light and portable with castors. It only handles 200 watts though, and this has proven a limitation for what I do. The PF 15", taking 450 watts, looks really cool and may be the answer to my problems for small gigs.