Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger fans, have you got an iPad?

Grand Wazoo

If you have you're in luck, cause.....

"There's an app for that" :) HA!

[url="http://pocketlabworks.com/pocketGK.html"]http://pocketlabworks.com/pocketGK.html[/url]

who needs an amp anymore, huh? check this out!

All you need is an iPad, an iRig connector, your bass, a lead and a set of headphones and your favourite GK amps are on tap, you can use backing tracks from your iTunes collection and you can practice away in silence with a decent bass sound and no one to bother you.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Ha, beat you to it :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126675"]GK app[/url]

Ive still to take the plunge and get another iRig. I had one before (with the Amplitube app) and i was very disappointed with it. I sold it about 30 mins after getting it.
Apparently the GK one is much better.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Bottle' post='1187566' date='Apr 4 2011, 11:22 AM']Nice idea, but I'm struggling to see a real benefit to this, bearing in mind that a laptop/netbook + USB interface + headphones solution has been around for years, and would in all likelyhood, work out a lot cheaper.

Ian[/quote]
I have a laptop and an iPad, the iRig and GK app totalled less than £30. Out of interest how much would a USB interface cost for the lappy? (My laptop is also sh*t though...)

[quote name='Merton' post='1187678' date='Apr 4 2011, 12:50 PM']I have a laptop and an iPad, the iRig and GK app totalled less than £30. Out of interest how much would a USB interface cost for the lappy? (My laptop is also sh*t though...)[/quote]
I'm just thinking along the lines of why I would replace a laptop + USB interface with an iPad + iRig; OK, the interface was expensive compared to the iRig (about £100 difference), but I already have a laptop (five-year old Toshiba) which is quite happy with either Audacity or Reaper, and iTunes. Suits most of my practice needs. And the interface is more versatile, it being an M-Audio Fast-Track Pro with several I/O routing options.

I guess the iPad + GK app is attractive for gadget-heads, but I can't see a need myself. Horses for courses.........

Ian

I think the idea is you would have your ipad or iphone etc with you anyway, so by just using the iRig, a lead and bass you have a pretty good rehearsal (or with Garage Band a recording) device.
Its not for everyone but if you do use a iPhone it saves having to cart a laptop and audio interface around as well. Great for learning songs or warming up back stage etc.

[quote name='Merton' post='1185269' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:12 PM']Got it, love it :)[/quote]

works way better than amplitube,

only downside I've found so far is that it doesn't use playlists. I've reported it to the author and he said he'd look at adding them.

So if you buy PocketGK, send in a feedback request to use playlists

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1187878' date='Apr 4 2011, 03:35 PM']I think the idea is you would have your ipad or iphone etc with you anyway, so by just using the iRig, a lead and bass you have a pretty good rehearsal (or with Garage Band a recording) device.[/quote]

Agreed! I don't think the iPad is a direct replacement for a laptop anyway, it has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

This does make me wish I had an iPhone or iPod touch though, I don't practice anywhere near as much as I should because I only have my big rig (which is way too much hassle to set up for a short practice) and a tiny practice amp which doesn't sound great (sounds ok for what it is, but when I have a GK big rig sat downstairs, it doesn't sound too good in comparison.) Something like this where you can plug in and play anywhere without carrying lots of stuff around is briliant.

I'd be tempted to invest in an iPad but all the fun stuff I've seen people do on them seems like it'd get old pretty quickly unless you had a real use for it. Though if I was doing something more experimental in a band, an iPad could be used to do some amazing things.

Thanks for that . . . . Looks like a great toy

Gone and bought it & forked out for the Amplitube iRig too :)

Now just got to wait for it to arrive till I can play with it.

On another topic - is there a backtrack equivalent that will work with the Amplitube iRig?