Why become a member? ×

Gordy Blueshift Deluxe

goaround

Got this in a trade with H the Bass last autumn, as this is a rare bass the only information I have about it is from H;

[i]Hand built by Gordon WHITHAM of Gordon SMITH guitars in 1982 in excellent condition,low action all original, pick ups and hardware by Schaller.
From cutting to Thunderous,it has passive pick ups but an active tone control fitted by Nik Kershaws guitar tech.
[/i]

It is in great condition, there is some very light buckle rash but apart from that looks like new. I bought it as it was a bit out of the ordinary, love looking at it hanging on the wall but it dosnt get played much and as I've aquired another bass today something has to go.

As it is so unusual you are welcome to come and have a look with no obligation.

*Withdrawn*

[attachment=76309:gordy_1.JPG] [attachment=76310:gordy_2.JPG] [attachment=76311:gordy_3.JPG] [attachment=76312:gordy_5.JPG]

Edited by goaround

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a few queries today so the following may be helpful;

Scale Length 34", width at (brass) nut 44.5mm (give or take half a mm!) and certainly more of precison type neck than a jazz which is why I've not played it much, no fretwear I can see

I cant give an accurate weight as I dont have any scales but certainly heavier than a jazz and possiblyy the heaviest bass I've owned apart from an 80's Vox (that reminds me its still at a mates house, must get it back sometime - or maybe not!).

Controls are volume for each pickup and master blend, how the active circuit works I dont know but photos below show location of battery and may be of some help if you know what you are looking for - if H the bass who owned this bass previously reads this he may know more.

[attachment=82122:gordy_6.JPG] [attachment=82123:gordy_7.JPG] [attachment=82124:Gordy_8.JPG]

I always think descibing the sound is very subjective but with the front pickup only its a P type sound and very bright and honky with the bridge pickup only, blending is I guess what most would describe as a growlly. It sounds bloody nice and if it ha a skinnier neck theres no way I'd be selling it.

As I said in the original post as its unusual I would suggest coming and having a try if you are interested without any pressure to buy it.

Withdrawn, gigged it at the weekend and enjoyed playing it so much decided to keep it.

Edited by goaround