Why become a member? ×

Buying secondhand

muttley

[quote name='pete.young' post='1189560' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:56 PM']If you make it as far as Ipswich you're welcome to come and try mine, and I'm happy to go and check out basses if you end up looking at something at this end of the county.[/quote]

That's a very kind offer. Are there any guitar shops in Ipswich? I used to live there but haven't been back in years!

Well, there is one which just about qualifies - West End Music, which seems to have been there for ever. The vibes are pretty good. But they don't have a lot in the way of basses, and most of their stock is low-end stuff. They do occasionally have some interesting older second-hand guitars, but few basses. The shop in Bury probably has a better selection.

There are other music shops with a reasonable selection of entry-level guitars, but for bass you're so close to Darren at the Bass Merchant that there's not much point in going via Ipswich.

Hi,

For the last 8 years or so, I have been using a Yamaha BB605 (Nathan East body shape) and I have found it to be a very versatile bass. It's not heavy at all (part of the reason I have kept it so long and got rid of other more expensive basses). It has 2 jazz pickups, a master volume control, pickup blend control. bass boost/cut control, and treble boost/cut control. It also has an active mid sweep, which is turned on by flicking a switch. I use it for rock, pop, and funk (slap) and it handles everything. Tone controls provide wide variety of sounds.

There is a BB604 version, but Yamaha sadly don't make these basses anymore, so, here or ebay would be your best chance.

IMHO of course, Yamaha basses are really superb value for money. Affordable for a newbie, and quality enough for a more experienced user. Sure, there are far more expensive basses out there, and there are some of those blow the Yamaha away, but for the most part, Yamaha bass guitars will stand the test of time, and provide you everything you need, for not a lot of money. PLENTY bang for your buck.

Warwick Rockbass are good value too, I just dont like the look of Warwick basses, and I had a "posh" Warwick that I really couldn't live with, so don't listen to me on these lol.

Squire, CV, again excellent value, but you're not a Fender man, so, kinda rules them out.

You could pick up a brand new Yamaha RBX 270J for £200? It's a passive bass, with both precision and Jazz type pickups. Lightweight. Good quality, and nice range of sounds.

At the end of the day, the sound advice is, try before you buy. Research what you like. Check out the company websites, look at the specification, and don't feel pushed in any one direction. Even by me lol ;-) It's your money, so you get what you like and what you want, to make you hte individual bass player you will be. There are so many good basses out there.

As Clint Eastwood said "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one"

Dougie

[quote name='pete.young' post='1190085' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:53 AM']Did you see this in the For Sale forum?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120780"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120780[/url][/quote]

I didn't, but I've got it in my eBay watch list :).

[quote name='skhatru' post='1190049' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:13 AM']Warwick Rockbass are good value too, I just dont like the look of Warwick basses, and I had a "posh" Warwick that I really couldn't live with, so don't listen to me on these lol.[/quote]

OTOH, I [i]do[/i] like their look so these are on my short list.

[quote name='skhatru' post='1190049' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:13 AM']You could pick up a brand new Yamaha RBX 270J for £200? It's a passive bass, with both precision and Jazz type pickups. Lightweight. Good quality, and nice range of sounds.[/quote]

I've seen several recommendations for Yamaha, either RBX or BB. However, I'm really after an unlined fingerboard and the Yams, AFAICT, are all lined.

"I've seen several recommendations for Yamaha, either RBX or BB. However, I'm really after an unlined fingerboard and the Yams, AFAICT, are all lined. "

..I think I may have assumed you were new to bass (bass lessons in 1st post)...those 'cheater lines' on the Yamaha's and Squier VMJF's do make the fretless a lot easier to play....well they do for me :)

[quote name='iconic' post='1190753' date='Apr 6 2011, 05:58 PM']..I think I may have assumed you were new to bass (bass lessons in 1st post)...those 'cheater lines' on the Yamaha's and Squier VMJF's do make the fretless a lot easier to play....well they do for me :)[/quote]

I am new to bass and my teacher would like/prefer/has suggested I get an unlined bass. I would prefer this myself as I will develop a better technique. BTW, I also play the violin (I passed Grade 8) which doesn't have any lines either :).

I think it's a bit of a red herring saying that you'll be better off with an unlined bass. Yes, lines essentially a crutch, but even with them you shouldn't be looking at the fretboard that much so it shouldn't really make any difference in the long term, it'll just help you start out.

In saying that, I think lined fretlesses are ugly as sin. They do just look like someone's trying to play a fretless but can't be bothered to learn properly to me (not so much with the cheap ones as it's easier to accept that they're new to fretless, but with expensive ones it never looks good IMO). But as a bass teacher I'd never recommend a student not to get a lined.

Another vote for SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. I bought one recently and reckon they represent the best value for money out there. Light as a feather, active, 2 pups and, as mentioned, they do an unlined fretless version.

There are two (fretted) SB-320s on eBay at the moment - one is BIN £250, the other bids starting at £250. This model was the top end at the time (late 80s/90s) and expensive (£800?) yet they don't hold their value second hand. God knows why.

Edit - just had a look and they are both 0 bids, starting at £250, no BIN.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200591898408&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]here's one[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140531993157&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]here's the second[/url] which looks a really tidy guitar.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='1190974' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:19 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140531993157&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]here's the second[/url] which looks a really tidy guitar.[/quote]
Heh. Sold by another idiot who doesn't know how to put the strings on properly. It's not the highest spec either, there were 460 series and 660 series which had paduak and zebrano tops.

But as you say, a tidy guitar.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1190930' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:56 PM']I think it's a bit of a red herring saying that you'll be better off with an unlined bass. Yes, lines essentially a crutch, but even with them you shouldn't be looking at the fretboard that much so it shouldn't really make any difference in the long term, it'll just help you start out.

In saying that, I think lined fretlesses are ugly as sin. They do just look like someone's trying to play a fretless but can't be bothered to learn properly to me (not so much with the cheap ones as it's easier to accept that they're new to fretless, but with expensive ones it never looks good IMO). But as a bass teacher I'd never recommend a student not to get a lined.[/quote]

Thanks for your helpful comments. I'll discuss it with my teacher a bit more. He didn't explicitly say to not get a lined, just that he preferred unlined.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1191223' date='Apr 6 2011, 11:01 PM']Heh. Sold by another idiot who doesn't know how to put the strings on properly. It's not the highest spec either, there were 460 series and 660 series which had paduak and zebrano tops.

But as you say, a tidy guitar.[/quote]

Pete - where do these 400 and 600 series models come in the hierarchy - were they a bit later in the history but still MIJ? When I was looking for one I poured over [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=nanyo"]The Definitive Bass Collection[/url] thread, plus everything else I could find on the 'net, but still can't see a definite family tree emerging. So far as I could see the earlier ones were the 300 series, with 4 string, 5 string, fretless and Sen bodied/gold hardware models. Then these others appear!

Anyway - as per recommendation I put an Artec preamp in mine - the SE2 to keep it simple - and it has done the business -taken that plasticy edge off the tone and opened up the expression. Although the rotation is reversed in nearly everything, which threw me at first.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1193550' date='Apr 9 2011, 09:20 AM']Pete - where do these 400 and 600 series models come in the hierarchy - were they a bit later in the history but still MIJ? When I was looking for one I poured over [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=nanyo"]The Definitive Bass Collection[/url] thread, plus everything else I could find on the 'net, but still can't see a definite family tree emerging. So far as I could see the earlier ones were the 300 series, with 4 string, 5 string, fretless and Sen bodied/gold hardware models. Then these others appear!

Anyway - as per recommendation I put an Artec preamp in mine - the SE2 to keep it simple - and it has done the business -taken that plasticy edge off the tone and opened up the expression. Although the rotation is reversed in nearly everything, which threw me at first.[/quote]

Later, but I don't know when they first appeared. All the ones I've seen, which is only a handful, have dated from '94 and '95 - my 465 is a 1995 serial no. They're still MIJ .

I found the same thing on the blend control with the Artec SE3 P, but all the other pots rotated the right way. I was convinced at first that I'd wired it up the wrong way round, but it matches the instructions. Once you know what's happening, it's not too hard to deal with.

Ta. On mine it is blend and (I think) bass cut/boost that are backwards. As you say, not a huge issue.

Other than the exotic wood tops, what else would distinguish the 400/600 series - are the electrics/hardware still all the same, do you know?

I don't mean to hijack the thread but while we are all here.... :)

[quote name='muttley' post='1182516' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:55 PM']I'm starting lessons tomorrow on a borrowed instrument but I'm keen to get my own bass asap. Buying 2nd hand will obviously get me better vfm in the first place plus the ability to move something on for little loss should I decide to change/upgrade. However, I have no experience in buying a used instrument privately so I need advice from those more experienced on what to look out for. BTW, electronics pose no problem as I'm handy with a soldering iron.

TIA[/quote]

I would try to ascertain whether the truss rod has been maxed out, and if so, try to learn why.

tg

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='muttley' post='1187684' date='Apr 4 2011, 12:56 PM']Well, I can keep the Squire P for pretty-much as long as I need it but my teacher would prefer me to get an unlined fretless. Since this narrows my choice considerably (I've been looking...) it's a good job I'll have the loan instrument for a while![/quote]

Dude i bought a Warwick Streamer rock bass just as i started learning to play, and i loved it.

I have just bought a status series 2 custom and it is awesome. However yesterday I put a nice new set of roundwounds on my rockbass gave it a setup and i just couldnt put it down

excellent sound and build quality I would defiantly recommend one as your first bass

best of luck in your search