Why become a member? ×

Another "What's this bass?" question

Musky

Yeah, I thought Verithin when I first saw it but there's no soundholes either. The nearest I could find looking at the vintage hofner site was the Club bass, but again none with double cutaways. In fact, looking around the site I was struck by how many variations there were of the various instruments. Did Hofner take custom orders or did they just try out lots of ideas and use what they had to hand? :)

Hofner do (or maybe did, as it was a limited edition) a German made [url="http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.zupf_flypage/product_id,267/category_id,10/"]Club CV[/url] which has the same pickup spacing, but it's only a single cutaway.

No wonder we didn't recognise it - Clem built it himself.

He's done two of them, one in 1994 and the other 10 years later. The driving force behind the twin cutaway was simply to have the only one on the planet. I can dig that.

Just in case you're interested (and you're also a lefty) he's selling one at the moment.

BTW, those two photos are from different gigs.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1170772' date='Mar 21 2011, 03:29 PM']No wonder we didn't recognise it - Clem built it himself.

He's done two of them, one in 1994 and the other 10 years later. The driving force behind the twin cutaway was simply to have the only one on the planet. I can dig that.

Just in case you're interested (and you're also a lefty) he's selling one at the moment.

BTW, those two photos are from different gigs.[/quote]
Blimey - that's a pretty comprehensive answer. I thought you might chip in but didn't expect you to talk to the man himself! Cheers! :)

I knew it was Clem from the Fabulous Penetrators but didn't know he worked in Denmark Street. I also knew they were from different gigs - I was at the one in the second picture!

Looks like I'll never have one of these beauties though - I'm a righty. In Clem's hands it sounds as good as it looks. :)