Why become a member? ×

epiphone thunderbird custom shop

bassmachine2112

For the majority of them, its simply a limited edition colour. A kind of lower end version of Rickenbacker's colour of the year if you like.

The ones that come to mind that are different are the silverburst Thunderbird which has chrome pickups like the discontinued Les Paul Standard bass, one of the 60s EB-3s which has gold hardware and the Les Paul which has the maple top. I think the Ripper is a limited edition only model.

From what I've heard about the silverburst ones they're made in China and have Epi guitar pickups under the chrome covers. Not a good option unless you really want that colour and can afford to change the pickups.

I had an Alpine White MIK one. Didn't investigate what it was made of, but the finish and build quality was immaculate. Pickups had a nice growl and the neck was very comfortable.

A red one went on ebay a few days ago for £180 - if you can get one at that price it's a real bargain.