Why become a member? ×

Party Poppers

Kraken

I had this idea (blatantly plagarised from somewhere but I don't remember where)for one of the songs in our set where I could point my bass headstock into the air and fire a flashbomb or some other pyro as a 'here is the song' kind of thing...

then I did some reading and realised that I would probably need licences and other such expensive things, so I did some more thinking.

well I reckon using Party Poppers (The Pull String variety) for now would be more than sufficient for the kind of venues we play and still sort of have that visual effect. (Just without the fire, flash and burning down indoor venues - which is a big positive)

so to get to the point,

Mounting the 'Party Popper' (or whatever) to the headstock isn't going to be too difficult (there are many and varied types of clip that can be used for this) the problem I have is in fretting a note and firing it off at the same time.

so Ladies and Gents (and those of you who consider yourselves outside of those categories)

how would you set up something that would be easy to set up, reuse and easy to operate given both of my hands are otherwise employed doing something else at the time (ie playing bass)

lets hear your ideas...

as a side note...

apologies for the prolific use of Brackets
and
if this is in anyway in the wrong place - I apologise and can someone please put it where it is supposed to be.

Thanks

the Candles and Frying pans sound good just for the visual effect of it...

I had thought about an extra long section of String to the right hand, but extending the string that much increases the amount of stretch available in the string and as such will make it harder to actually get the thing to go off.

but somthing that will be tried,

any more creative ideas?

As an ex pyro-technician for Cetera's Kiss tribute, using pyro, is, in any situation a big risk. I've seen some horrendous injuries(not in the Kiss tribute) from it. Even party poppers can be "dangerous"..... I'd suggest some hand held confetti cannons. At least they can be pointed away from unaware people, and give a better explosion. :)

You don't actually need a license to buy and use pyro's but I don't think they make anything small enough to be safe at the sort of proximity you are looking to use it at.

Why not get a piece of strong fishing line, tie one end to the party popper and tie a large nut to the other end.
Leave the line long enough so the nut can drag along the floor.

When you are ready to fire it, put your foot on the nut and lift the head of the bass up in a dramatic fashion...

EDIT: Lifting the head of the bass and looking the opposite direction would be a good idea :)

Edited by icastle

LOL, indeed the Pyro idea was just where it started and as a bit of laziness and a bit of being broke I'm not too interested in Insurance, Licences or the Risk Assessment process.

the Confetti Cannons Idea is worth exploring, are these the ones with the 'twist base to fire' action? how would I get it to go off while playing?

not that it makes a difference but the Bass is a 2006 MIM Fender Jazz 5

Lengthen the string so it dangles on the floor, tread on it & raise the bass up BANG!

TBH - how pathetic is this going to look though? One party popper - really! Not wishing to P on your bonfire like :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1167099' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:45 PM']Why not get a piece of strong fishing line, tie one end to the party popper and tie a large nut to the other end.
Leave the line long enough so the nut can drag along the floor.

When you are ready to fire it, put your foot on the nut and lift the head of the bass up in a dramatic fashion...[/quote]

That is a good idea.

as for the Pyro,

your right in the kind of proximity I'm working with it is not going to happen, I kind of realised that within seconds of thinking about it.

I will bow to other peoples experiences on these kind of things mainly because the research I did was very limited because It showed me very quickly it was a no go.

All input welcome any more ideas?

it's all about adding something else to the 'live' experience

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1167103' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:47 PM']TBH - how pathetic is this going to look though? One party popper - really! Not wishing to P on your bonfire like :)[/quote]

you have a point, maybe I could set up and array of them...

hmmm

or go back to yorick's confetti cannon idea which 'puts out' a lot more stuff.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1167119' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:54 PM']Get some strippers. That always adds something to a live performance!

Truckstop[/quote]

I see where you are going but that is more expensive than I had in mind...

:)

[quote name='Kraken' post='1167117' date='Mar 18 2011, 01:53 PM']you have a point, maybe I could set up and array of them...[/quote]

I'm not sure that they work if you pull the string at an angle so an array might be difficult to fire using one line unless you have an old meccano set you can knock a firing 'rig' up with.

Cats? hmm, not quite as explosive as I'd hoped for, and a lot more unpredicatable

this is the perfect moment for that youtube video/advert that has a bunch of cowboys herding cats but I can't access youtube from where I am

just remembered your (I think) thread, you still have lots of them then icastle?

Edited by Kraken