Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - Overwater Progress III Deluxe 5

Machines

I am looking to trade this wonderful example of Chris May's work from October 2002. It's a 36" scale which may sound intimidating, but it doesn't feel as long as it is and I have no issues reaching the 1st fret. The body is made of American walnut and has a thick burr maple top which is highly figured. The neck is a 5 piece maple/purple heart neck through construction and also has a body-matching headstock veneer.

The electronics consist of MM/J pickups (custom order), a 3 band EQ and coil tap (custom order) on the volume pot. This leads to plenty of sound options. The bass has a very bright and clean sound - it is the perfect palette from which to build your own sound out of. The coil tap adds another dimension to the sound that is very useful.

It is currently setup with a low action yet does not buzz anywhere on the neck, the high string tension helping here. It's an absolute breeze to play and oozes quality from every part. The sustain from this instrument is also impressive across all strings.

It is in very good condition with only very minor buckle rash on the neck heel (wouldn't show on pics) and a few small dings on the body and neck. They tend to become invisible in the burr maple anyway..

The reason I am looking to trade this is I want a more aggressive sound. I find the virtues of this instrument aren't suited to what i'm looking for (i'm after the Musicman sound). Basses i'd consider are 5 strings such as a Stingray HH/HS, Bongo HH/HS. I'm not really after a high end custom bass to replace this with :). Things i'm not really interested in are Warwicks, Fenders, Laklands.

For anyone looking not to trade, I would sell this for £1200 inc postage or pickup from Birmingham. See below for pics..

[attachment=74870:Overwater_4.jpg] [attachment=74871:Overwater_6.jpg] [attachment=74815:IMG_2485.JPG] [attachment=74872:Overwater_7.jpg][attachment=74873:IMG_2500.JPG] [attachment=74874:IMG_2483_1.JPG]

Just to say this is an incredibly made bass as you would expect from Overwater. It used to be mine but I had the same issue in that it was just a little too polite for me. Its a shame it has been through a few owners and it hasnt found a solid home yet but it will be right for someone.

Good luck with the sale.

Just thought I'd back up how good these are, I have one with the normal pup configuration, and it's the first bass that's made me WANT to play better and more varied styles as it does then all so well!

And don't worry about the 36" scale, only a couple of mm longer per fret, but such a good tension for that b string!

Rather than trying to make this bass something it isn't I might just get something additional to it to give me some punch. Won't have to be a 5 string, a Ray 34 would do nicely. I shall ponder upon this - looking at these pics has made me all giddy.

Have you thought about a preamp change? I would give Mr May a call and see how much it would be to add the new Overwater preamp which is by all accounts less subtle. It might just give you the extra oomph your after.

[quote name='NJE' post='1167480' date='Mar 18 2011, 06:31 PM']Have you thought about a preamp change? I would give Mr May a call and see how much it would be to add the new Overwater preamp which is by all accounts less subtle. It might just give you the extra oomph your after.[/quote]

Or perhaps Mr East? A u-retro would slip in there quite nicely or even his three band stingray circuit? (btw I'm a huge fan of Mr East's work)

Ok, bass is staying. Rather than shopping it in for a couple of sounds it can't do, I'll appreciate it for what it can do (which is a lot). Just gave it a good clean/polished the brass bridge saddles. After I put it back together I am quite sure it sounded brighter - the power of Brasso eh ?! Maybe I inhaled too much..

Oddly, the Stingray GAS has subsided..

• 2 months later...

GAS mostly :).

Seriously though, it is a beautiful instrument that is utterly astounding to play, but - tonally I want to hear a Musicman and this isn't quite there. It's a little more reserved and probably better suited to someone who'll get the most out of it. A few years ago I was after a Stingray 5HH (after having a 4H for a while) and couldn't get one so traded for a Lakland 55-02 (MM/J pickups) - this was great, but again the sound wasn't the same as a Ray. Then had a Corvette 5 $$, but too Warwicky sounding (baseball bat neck too) ! Eventually here I am with the Overwater, the highest quality (construction and sound) bass i've ever had, but i'm still lusting after that ballsy Musicman sound, even though I know it is in essence - a downgrade.

I'm going to PMT tomorrow to play a Bongo 4H to see if I can find fault with it, might take the Overwater too to A/B them, it may make me see sense ! :)