Why become a member? ×

Power supply voltage ?

Beno

Evenin all.

I have a BD 21 Bass driver and as normal its a 9v DC. Its very heavy on batteries so I had a scope in my bits box and found a 9v
power supply (9v printed on the unit). Its from a pair of puter speakers.'Result' I thought.

I checked the secondary voltage with a meter and it reads 13.3v DC

Q. Will this damage my pedal. I figure there is a +/- tolerance, but 50% ?

If someone could check their volts on the output of a PS I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, B

(dunno if this should have gone in tech section)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1159840' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:49 PM']I don't have my supplies etc here at home but I'm pretty sure most 9v pedals can take up to 12v (although not all sound like they like it). I'm sure there was a thread some time ago where someone pushed a Boss ODB-3 over 12v and [b]basically destroyed it...[/b]

Shep[/quote]

Yeah, thats my concern. I think I'll try fitting a resistor or something in line to get the v down a bit.

Cheers.

EDIT. That resistor thing was a disaster so I'd still like to hear from anyone :)

Edited by Beno

Get a new power supply, it's not worth the risk. As well as pouring too much voltage in, the polarity could be wrong, pedal supplies tend to use reverse positive / negative setup to most other devices.

I recommend this one, it'll have enough juice to power a whole board full of pedals via a daisy chain if you decide to get more later:

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...;products_id=12[/url]

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1166637' date='Mar 18 2011, 07:48 AM']Get a new power supply, it's not worth the risk. As well as pouring too much voltage in, the polarity could be wrong, pedal supplies tend to use reverse positive / negative setup to most other devices.

I recommend this one, it'll have enough juice to power a whole board full of pedals via a daisy chain if you decide to get more later:

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...;products_id=12[/url][/quote]

Good link that,

I'll have to get a few more bits to spread the postage costs.

Cheers

[quote name='Beno' post='1159782' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:07 PM']Evenin all.

I have a BD 21 Bass driver and as normal its a 9v DC. Its very heavy on batteries so I had a scope in my bits box and found a 9v
power supply (9v printed on the unit). Its from a pair of puter speakers.'Result' I thought.

I checked the secondary voltage with a meter and it reads 13.3v DC

Q. Will this damage my pedal. I figure there is a +/- tolerance, but 50% ?

If someone could check their volts on the output of a PS I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, B

(dunno if this should have gone in tech section)[/quote]

Sounds like you've got an unregulated 9VDC supply. Unregulated -> the output voltage varies with load. Measuring with a meter means almost no load, and a higher voltage; if you plug it into the pedal the load could be such that the resultant voltage ends up around 9V.

Unregulated supplies can often cause a lot of hum in your output signal, and are best avoided. But you could probably fit a 9V regulator + a couple of caps to what you have and end up with a regulated power supply that's as good as many store-bought units.

[quote name='OzMike' post='1168113' date='Mar 19 2011, 12:02 PM']Sounds like you've got an unregulated 9VDC supply. Unregulated -> the output voltage varies with load. Measuring with a meter means almost no load, and a higher voltage; if you plug it into the pedal the load could be such that the resultant voltage ends up around 9V.

Unregulated supplies can often cause a lot of hum in your output signal, and are best avoided. But you could probably fit a 9V regulator + a couple of caps to what you have and end up with a regulated power supply that's as good as many store-bought units.[/quote]

Thanks OzMike.

Think I'll go the new route. Life's too short :)