Why become a member? ×

SWR 4x8

Phil-osopher10

No, not really but I had looked at a few of the older SWR cabs and you have 6x10's going to less than £400.
Goli 4x10 for £350..ish.. and these are twice the cab in terms of power, IMO

If I could find one (SWR 610) relatively locally, I'd be interested in one.

AFAIK, the 4x8 was quite low powered..maybe around 300watts, so I wouldn't pay more than £300 for a VGC one, myself.

I am not sure if it is a one cab solution so would put it on par...with a GS112 for around £250..???

What do you think it is worth..or what are you willing to pay? When there is no real market indication it is a bit hit and miss.

So I went along to hear the cab, I brought my own bass and head. I plugged in and started to play, and there was this sound as if the speakers were blew. sort of fuzzy in the lows. Anyway I was like I think it is broken. And all he said was that he likes a bit of grit in his sound.... wasn't impressed. I tried to explain that you put that in, rather than let the cab dictate if your sound is 'gritty'. But there was just no talking to him. Oh well....

I have had a 4x8 and the matching 1x15 for a few years now. I think I paid £20 for both. They are designed to be used together and as such don't recommend the 4x8 to be used by itself, but with the 15 it's a lovely sounding setup. Shame it wasn't working, it shouldn't sound gritty at all. The 4x8 in isolation is quite peaky and bright.

ped

Yes, I'd expect it to sound mid peaky ..as even the 2x10's can do... but not fuzzy in any respect.
Also, if the are PAS type chassis' then getting hold of replacement cones is very hard in the UK..if at all possible, and new speakers would introduce a whole new dynamic to the cab..IMV

so I would indeed be walking away.