Why become a member? ×

D'Addario black nylons

[quote name='Clarky' post='1152855' date='Mar 7 2011, 07:42 PM']I too would be interested due to the reasonable string gauges. I had Roto Tru Bass which sounded fabulously thumpy and DB-like but the D and G strings were so fat it inhibited me playing anything fast/tricky.[/quote]
Hmmm ... fast and tricky? Dangerous ground.

Perhaps you meant fast or tricky but not both at once?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1152898' date='Mar 7 2011, 08:04 PM']Hmmm ... fast and tricky? Dangerous ground.

Perhaps you meant fast or tricky but not both at once?[/quote]
The slash / was deliberate. I don't do simultaneous fast [i]and [/i] tricky :) Some would argue I am capable of neither, mainly audiences and other band members

I've tried Picato, fairly thin gauges but not very bassy in tone. I also hadtrouble with the binding coming off! THis happened to more than one string in more than one set. Both sets from the same source so could have been a bad batch or old stock.
I'm now using Fender 9120M (58/72/92/110). Good price, plenty of bass, nice feel- they have a slightly woven feel to them unlike the Picato wich are almost totally smooth.
I might well give D'Addarios a go on my twin neck, I'll be stringing the fretted side with D'addarios tomorrow. (chosen by price and favourite gauge 50/70/85/105)

I tried a set on the D'Addario stand at the London bass show. They were installed on a Fender Jazz. Unlike Tru Bass, they feel quite 'normal' (rather than like big thick cables), just slightly plasticky compared with say TI Flats (hardly surprising). Quite smooth but not very slippery, so you can intonate pretty well. Suitably impressed I have bought a set and will try them on my fretless. Oh and they have quite classy gold silks at the ends .... which is nice

[quote name='Clarky' post='1159541' date='Mar 12 2011, 04:58 PM']Oh and they have quite classy gold silks at the ends .... which is nice[/quote]
Um, opened the packet and the silks are dark navy blue. How odd that the colour is different to the ones that wre on show. Matters not a lot of course but just correcting my previous post. More importantly they are on my Tony Franklin fretless now and I like them a lot and certainly a great deal more than Tru Bass strings. So it's a thumbs up from me

[quote name='Clarky' post='1159746' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:36 PM']Um, opened the packet and the silks are dark navy blue. How odd that the colour is different to the ones that wre on show. Matters not a lot of course but just correcting my previous post. More importantly they are on my Tony Franklin fretless now and I like them a lot and certainly a great deal more than Tru Bass strings. So it's a thumbs up from me[/quote]
Ok Clarky don't bother answering my question in the other thread.

I've got La Bella black nylons on my TF - have you tried those? If so how do they compare? And what's the tension like?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1162268' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:05 PM']Ok Clarky don't bother answering my question in the other thread.

I've got La Bella black nylons on my TF - have you tried those? If so how do they compare?[/quote]
Sorry not tried the La Bella's. My only reference are Tru Bass strings which I found unwieldy. These are 'normal' gauges, rather than thick sticks of licorice, so they feel very 'familiar' under the fingers, have reasonable low/medium tension, and sound nice. Impressed so far.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1162274' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:08 PM']Sorry not tried the La Bella's. My only reference are Tru Bass strings which I found unwieldy. These are 'normal' gauges, rather than thick sticks of licorice, so they feel very 'familiar' under the fingers, have reasonable low/medium tension, and sound nice. Impressed so far.[/quote]
Do they feel as low tension as TIs?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1162350' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:44 PM']Ok, thanks Clarky[/quote]
Put it this way, I swapped out some Pyramid Gold flats for these and haven't had to touch the truss rod at all. So very unscientifically it suggests they are similar tension to Pyramids which ar enot as low tension as TIs. Best I can do!