Why become a member? ×

My new Sandberg has arrived!!!

TRBboy

I got my Sandberg Basic 4 on Saturday! I bought it off Gazmon through the BassChat sale section.

First impressions:

Gareth was right to describe it as immaculate! I can't find a mark on it, nor any signs of wear. In fact the protective film is still on the scratchplate and the back of the tuners! The build quality is as I expected; absolutely rock solid. Definitely has a 'German' feel about it. The 6-bolt neck join seems to feel more solid than some thru-necks I've played! The pots have a firm, positive feel to them. All of the hardware seems solid. The neck profile is maybe a little fuller than I expected, although it is extremely comfortable. The neck profile starts out as a C sort of profile (slightly fuller than a jazz)at the nut, but as you progress up the neck the centre line gradually flattens out, ending up as a kind of U(?) section higher up the neck (more like a classical guitar profile). This bass definitely has a 'hand built' feel about it, and is actually a little heavier than I envisaged.

Unfortunately, I couldn't play it straight out the box. Gareth had informed me that he hadn't used it for over a year, and time had taken its toll. The neck had far too much relief in it, resulting in a very high action, the strings were completely dead, the frets were pretty badly oxidised and the fretboard was very dry.

So I set about polishing the frets, lem-oiling the fretboard, re-stringing and adjusting the truss rod.

Frets & fretboard before:
[attachment=74124:IMG_0610.JPG]

and after:
[attachment=74128:IMG_0621.JPG]

It now plays like a dream, and is basically like a brand new bass.

Sounds:

This bass has a very natural sound, and the preamp really does not colour the tone too much. It's nice also that the output seems to be well matched between active and passive modes. I am finding it to be inherently bright sounding, and the preamp seems very subtle (with the exception of the treble pot!). I'm still getting used to it, but it seems almost like the bass pot does not boost enough, so I seem to end up with it full up all the time. Conversely, I think if you turned the treble pot all the way up you would shatter every pane of glass in a 10 mile radius! It does sound great, but just seems to be lacking a bit of low end meatiness at the moment. You can roll the treble right off and turn the bass right up, and you never get close to muddy or rumbling. This is perhaps the sign of a tasteful, quality preamp, but does not seem to permit much tonal versatility. It would be great for jazz solo sort of stuff I should imagine but I play in a rock band. Anyway I'm sure once I get used to it it'll be fine.

It is very easy to play, and the sustain and harmonics especially are probably better than any other bass I've ever played.

If anyone has any tips or advice about the preamp, let me know.

Here are some more pics if anyone's interested.
[attachment=74129:IMG_0655.JPG]
[attachment=74130:IMG_0657.JPG]
[attachment=74131:IMG_0658.JPG]
[attachment=74132:IMG_0659.JPG]
[attachment=74133:IMG_0660.JPG]

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='yorick' post='1152458' date='Mar 7 2011, 01:33 PM']Looking at the control layout, it's probably vol/3 band eq. The volume is probably a pull/push for active/passive. It's definitely a Glockenklang pre-amp, unless that's been changed.[/quote]

Yeah it is vol (pull passive) and 3-band eq. I'm just not sure at the moment whether the bass pot is working as it should at the moment. It just doesn't seem to boost as much as the treble or mid, although you can hear that the pot does work. I guess it must just be a very bright bass with a very transparent preamp. I'll be able to evaluate it properly at band rehearsal on Wednesday when I'm going through my full rig.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that i've never had a bass that sounds quite like this, and I guess I expected a bit more of a gutsy, powerful sound from it. I'll give it a fair shot though.

Just been playing for a while, and it's really starting to grow on me. This thing is a serious slap machine! If only I was any good at slapping.......

Can't wait to hear it through my Markbass rig on Wednesday - perhaps my MicroCube isn't doing it much justice :)

may i ask what amp/cabinets you use? the glockenklang preamp has a boost/cut of bass frequencies around 40hz. maybe your amp-system does not go down low enough?

[url="http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/bass_systems/onboard_3-band.htm"]http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/bas...oard_3-band.htm[/url]

[quote name='Sandmann' post='1152648' date='Mar 7 2011, 04:25 PM']may i ask what amp/cabinets you use? the glockenklang preamp has a boost/cut of bass frequencies around 40hz. maybe your amp-system does not go down low enough?

[url="http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/bass_systems/onboard_3-band.htm"]http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/bas...oard_3-band.htm[/url][/quote]

Yeah it could be, because at home I only practice through a little Roland Micro Cube Bass RX. My 'proper' rig is a Mark Bass CMD102P (2x10" combo) and 15" extension cab, so it should sound a lot better through that!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1152642' date='Mar 7 2011, 04:18 PM']perhaps my MicroCube isn't doing it much justice[/quote]
Probably not and hardly a fair test for any bass really.

I have a Basic PM4 and when used through my LMII and Schroeder rig I have the EQ on the amp flat (a bit of VLE & VPF) and the bass bass & treble just slightly boosted from the detent. I think it sounds great and it has also been commented on by other musos at gigs as sounding very good. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least.

FYI beyond the basic cutting out of the body shapes by a computer controlled router Sandbergs are totally hand made. Check out their website for a full description of the build process.

[QUOTE]Probably not and hardly a fair test for any bass really.[QUOTE]

Fair point, but as I practice through it with all my other basses it's a fair comparison. I wonder though if perhaps the preamp in the bass is overwhelming the amp a bit?

[quote name='agoulding' post='1154378' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:52 PM']Nice one Oli! looks bloody lovely![/quote]

Cheers mate, it's awesome! It feels amazing. Looking forward to trying it through my proper amp tomorrow!

Ok, so I took the Sandberg to band rehearsal last night.

WOW WOW WOW!!!

It sounded amazing through my Mark Bass rig! I have no more doubts about the preamp. Killer slap tone and awesome funky fingerstyle. There is a real sweet spot between the pickup and fretboard which is much fuller, gutsier and growlier, so I think I may have to stick a thumbrest on it. Tried playing off the end of the fretboard but it just wasn't right.

It Hung so well on the strap and was so comfortable to play, i really didn't feel like i'd been stood playing for 3 hours. The passive mode is very usable too and the output levels between active and passive are very well matched.

Everything about it is perfect, I would highly recommend one to anyone who is looking for something other than the norm, but still has a familiar feel and is a good compromise between trad and modern.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1157258' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:21 PM']Ok, so I took the Sandberg to band rehearsal last night.

WOW WOW WOW!!!

It sounded amazing through my Mark Bass rig! I have no more doubts about the preamp. Killer slap tone and awesome funky fingerstyle. There is a real sweet spot between the pickup and fretboard which is much fuller, gutsier and growlier, so I think I may have to stick a thumbrest on it. Tried playing off the end of the fretboard but it just wasn't right.

It Hung so well on the strap and was so comfortable to play, i really didn't feel like i'd been stood playing for 3 hours. The passive mode is very usable too and the output levels between active and passive are very well matched.

Everything about it is perfect, I would highly recommend one to anyone who is looking for something other than the norm, but still has a familiar feel and is a good compromise between trad and modern.[/quote]
Told you so. You're so right about the balance of the Basic, it's certainly on the of the reasons I was drawn to them.

[quote name='longtimefred' post='1157352' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:31 PM']Bet they would if you wanted them to. :)[/quote]

Looking at the custom section on their website they'll do whatever you want if you've got the bucks to do it.

Don't much like the idea of a two string bass though! The neck must feel like a broom handle!