Why become a member? ×

Adding a second speaker- help!

2008escottp

I've recently bought myself an Ashdown Evo 3 575watt head and have been running it through my trusty mag 410 cab. I've now bought an abm 1x15 cab to add to my rig a swell. Now, the head has 2 speakon outputs, however the abm cab only has 2 1/4" jack inputs.

Soooo I've connected head to 4x10 via speakon, then 4x10 to 1x15 via speaker jack cable. Am I right in thinking this is now wired in series? and if so am I also right in thinking that means im running at half the power/volume? if not am I completely wrong? is it even a good idea to wire up speakers this way? any help would be much appreciated as I haven't gigged with both the speakers yet so I need to know if I'm doing it right before I do

[quote name='2008escottp' post='1148167' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']I've recently bought myself an Ashdown Evo 3 575watt head and have been running it through my trusty mag 410 cab. I've now bought an abm 1x15 cab to add to my rig a swell. Now, the head has 2 speakon outputs, however the abm cab only has 2 1/4" jack inputs.

Soooo I've connected head to 4x10 via speakon, then 4x10 to 1x15 via speaker jack cable. Am I right in thinking this is now wired in series? and if so am I also right in thinking that means im running at half the power/volume? if not am I completely wrong? is it even a good idea to wire up speakers this way? any help would be much appreciated as I haven't gigged with both the speakers yet so I need to know if I'm doing it right before I do[/quote]

No that's parallel.

If your amp has 4 ohm minimum load and both your cabs are 8 ohm then you are fine. You've daisy chained the cabs and that is ok. They are designed to do this and as long as both cabs are 8 ohm they are ok.

ps At 4 ohm your amp is running at 575 watts and that is halved into each speaker cab.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='2008escottp' post='1148167' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']Am I right in thinking this is now wired in series?[/quote]
No, parallel, like the others have said

[quote name='2008escottp' post='1148167' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']and if so am I also right in thinking that means im running at half the power/volume?[/quote]
No, full power (575W, 4 ohm)

[quote name='2008escottp' post='1148167' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']if not am I completely wrong?[/quote]
Yep :)

[quote name='2008escottp' post='1148167' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:08 AM']is it even a good idea to wire up speakers this way?[/quote]
Absolutely fine :)