Why become a member? ×

My bass history: Sadowsky, Lakland, MusicMan

Fran Diaz

Many more photos can be found [url="http://perso.wanadoo.es/funkychicken/gear.htm"]following this link[/url].

Some of my favorites:

My main bass. Sadowsky NYC Vintage PJ4. It's routed to swap the P pickup for a jazz pickup in case I want to convert it to the standard jazz configuration. I have a fretless twin on order. This bass gives me everything I need.

Sadowsky NYC VJ4. I sold it to order the fretless. It's a great bass and the single coil pickups shine, but I didn't want to have more than 3 basses at the same time and since I started studying upright bass the fretless GAS was hitting me hard.

My old Lakland 4-94s (fretted and fretless with custom SD alnico pickups). I sold these when I bought my first Sadowsky and I have no regrets:

My MusicMan StingRay. This was my only bass for many years. It has a lot of sentimental value although I rarely take it out of the closet. I might sell it when I need to buy a good upright.

As you guys can see, I have a fixation with natural ash/maple combos. :)

If you follow the link at the begining of the post you can see more photos of other Sadowskys, a '79 MM Stingray...

Edited by Fran Diaz

[quote name='kdphysio' post='131374' date='Jan 31 2008, 05:22 PM']Fran, thats a beautiful collection......wouldn't mind something similar myself! I'm also into the natural look.....'pure wood' (just like my wife prefers!)[/quote]

Thanks!

Everytime I buy a new bass I tell to myself that it's going to be the last 'natural blonde' that I get, and then I do it again :)
My fretless Sadowsky on order ATM is going to be my last bass for a long time. Next in line has to be an upright and then I'll be done, so I don't see any 'painted' basses in my future...unless I buy me a rockabilly style upright full of flames :huh:

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='131385' date='Jan 31 2008, 05:38 PM']Lovely Musicman. Always wanted natural/black configuration.

Shame you're not selling, and wish I had the money anyway :huh:[/quote]

It's been with me in hundreds of gigs and rehearsals. I love its neck. I replaced the stock electronics with a Seymour Duncan alnico pickup and a SD preamp. IMO It was a big improvement over the stock electronics. I don't want to sell this bass, but an upright isn't cheap and I might have to part with it. :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='131890' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:06 PM']Truely fantastic collection there Fran, really like the Sadowsky's - only thing that would make them better IMO would be Pearl block inlays and binding...[/quote]

Thanks. Blocks and binding are not available in NYC Sadowskys and I'm not a fan of them; I can only tolerate them in maple fingerboards and only pearl, never black.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='132315' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:40 AM']lovely collection

what does the switch do on the StingRay?

and I agree,black blocks and binding on maple is simply inteloreable![/quote]

It's a parallel/series switch for the pickup...parallel is the standard SR wiring. Series is louder and more aggressive; it's nice to have it as an instant boost.