Why become a member? ×

Late 80's/early 90's Warwick Thumb Neck Thru (4 str) for my 2008 Stingray5?

Ghost_Bass

Hi

In the folowing of my gear clearout i've been offered this deal. I haven't recieved any pics yet but i asked the guy to send me some pics and the serial number this evening.
What happens is that i hate all Warwick gear (yes, all! I don't even like their bags/strings/cables... am i weird?) and have absolutely no knowledge on this model. I know it is a very sought after bass and has some market value. My question is how much do you think it's worth? It's an old model, original and with Barts.

I have another deal going on where i've been offered 1000€ (850ish pouds) plus a rack with a GK 400RB IV and a behringer tuner. Is this deal better than the Warwick?

Please enlighten me!

Cheers

edit: spelling... again...

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1146866' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:43 AM']Hi

In the folowing of my gear clearout i've been offered this deal. I haven't recieved any pics yet but i asked the guy to send me some pics and the serial number this evening.
What happens is that i hate all Warwick gear (yes, all! I don't even like their bags/strings/cables... am i weird?) and have absolutely no knowledge on this model. I know it is a very sought after bass and has some market value. My question is how much do you think it's worth? It's an old model, original and with Barts.

[b]I have another deal going on where i've been offered 1000€ (850ish pouds) plus a rack with a GK 400RB IV and a behringer tuner. Is this deal better than the Warwick?[/b]

Please enlighten me!

Cheers

edit: spelling... again...[/quote]

This is the deal.

Forget the Thumb. You hate Warwicks right? And it's probably worth about £800 or so.

Hy Marco.
Like I told before at zikinf there are 3 thumb nt4 for 1400€, 2100€ and 2200€.
I don't know if they are easy basses to sell, but vintage warwicks seem to have good resale values.
When you receive the pics and s/n mail them to me so I can tell you more about the bass (if it has the old headstock and one piece bridge it has far more value than the ones I stated here)

Cheers

Edited by w_joe

For now this is the only pic i've got:

[attachment=73699:120420101163.jpg]

I can tell that the body needs some care. Some worn showing up! Maybe it hasn't been regularly waxed? Hope to post more pics and a serial this evening.

Joel, i've been trough zikinf also. Don't know enough about W history to understand the price differences, :) . Thanks for the tip :)

Thanks for the replies!

[quote name='silddx' post='1147054' date='Mar 2 2011, 01:12 PM']This is the deal.

Forget the Thumb. You hate Warwicks right? And it's probably worth about £800 or so.[/quote]

+1. I love Warwicks, so I'd go for the Thumb. But it's not an especially good deal, and Warwicks are hard to sell at the minute, whether they're brand new or serious vintage ones. So if you really hate Warwicks then you should go for the other deal.

[quote name='w_joe' post='1147179' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:48 PM']Do you have the s/n already?
In that pic I can see the regular headstock, vintage trussrod cover, J-A-N I (brass nut) and 2 piece bridge.
Why dont you post it as a Feeler at the warwick forum to see how it goes?

Cheers[/quote]

I'm not a member and don't want to post something i still don't own. If anybody asks me a question i wouldn't know how to answer! Serial nr only this evening. This was a photo the guy had in his office computer. He told me he was going to send more pics and info this evening.

From the photo does it look ok to you?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147188' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:54 PM']I'm not a member and don't want to post something i still don't own. If anybody asks me a question i wouldn't know how to answer! Serial nr only this evening. This was a photo the guy had in his office computer. He told me he was going to send more pics and info this evening.

From the photo does it look ok to you?[/quote]

If it was a body picture it was easyer.. I'll post your topic there to see what they say.

cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147188' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:54 PM']I'm not a member and don't want to post something i still don't own. If anybody asks me a question i wouldn't know how to answer! Serial nr only this evening. This was a photo the guy had in his office computer. He told me he was going to send more pics and info this evening.

[b]From the photo does it look ok to you?[/b][/quote]

How is it possible to tell from a pic?

The old Thumbs, like that one, are reasonably sought after but you can't tell from a picture mate. It might be f***ed, who knows. I personally hate those open grain wenge fingerboards but some people love them. Even the old ones don't command high prices. I've seen them in the Bass Gallery for about £1100 last year.

Forget the Thumb man. You are looking for a good deal and a few bob on speculation, but it's not going to work out for you in this case. Go for the other deal which is way better in terms of value.

[quote name='silddx' post='1147200' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:00 PM']How is it possible to tell from a pic?

The old Thumbs, like that one, are reasonably sought after but you can't tell from a picture mate. It might be f***ed, who knows. I personally hate those open grain wenge fingerboards but some people love them. Even the old ones don't command high prices. I've seen them in the Bass Gallery for about £1100 last year.

Forget the Thumb man. You are looking for a good deal and a few bob on speculation, but it's not going to work out for you in this case. Go for the other deal which is way better in terms of value.[/quote]

Sorry i expressed myself wrong! What i meant was if it looked like the model i was told it was, i mean, an old (pre 98) original Warwick Thumb. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm getting more inclined to close the deal with the rack. I'm valuing it at 400€ (350ish pounds) for the whole set. I think it's a fair price and if i sell it at that price i'll be getting the money i've been originaly asking for the Stingray sale - basses are way more expensive over here!

Thanks for the reply

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147216' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:11 PM']Sorry i expressed myself wrong! What i meant was if it looked like the model i was told it was, i mean, an old (pre 98) original Warwick Thumb. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm getting more inclined to close the deal with the rack. I'm valuing it at 400€ (350ish pounds) for the whole set. I think it's a fair price and if i sell it at that price i'll be getting the money i've been originaly asking for the Stingray sale - basses are way more expensive over here!

Thanks for the reply[/quote]
Ahh, sorry. Yes, it's definitely an old Thumb. Asd has been said, the board, nut and trussrod cover confirm it.

But you are doing the right thing.

Argh!!! Now i've been offered a 1974 Fender Jazz Bass for the Warwick!!! All original but with new pots and a missing ashtray in Natural finish with blck PG, block inlays and binding...

I'll disconnect my router and start convincing myself i need to save some money!!!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147216' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:11 PM']Sorry i expressed myself wrong! What i meant was if it looked like the model i was told it was, i mean, an old (pre 98) original Warwick Thumb. Sorry for the confusion.
[b]I'm getting more inclined to close the deal with the rack. I'm valuing it at 400€ (350ish pounds) for the whole set. I think it's a fair price and if i sell it at that price i'll be getting the money i've been originaly asking for the Stingray sale - basses are way more expensive over here![/b]

Thanks for the reply[/quote]

I have to agree with silddx, its the best deal. I've done some research at the warwick forum and real vintage thumbs, even from 1986 (the bass was introduced in 1985 named as JD), don't sell at a fair value, maybe in some years things will change.

Cheers

PS: que é que se passa com o baixistas.com?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147252' date='Mar 2 2011, 03:36 PM']Argh!!! Now [b]i've been offered a 1974 Fender Jazz Bass for the Warwick[/b]!!! All original but with new pots and a missing ashtray in Natural finish with blck PG, block inlays and binding...

I'll disconnect my router and start convincing myself i need to save some money!!![/quote]
Whoever is making the offer is lying about the Fender or a bloody idiot :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1147323' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:34 PM']Whoever is making the offer is lying about the Fender or a bloody idiot :)[/quote]

Why do you say that?

I saw pictures of 74 J's on the web, it should look like this one:

...but without the ashtray and with a neck PU cover!

I'll be getting pics of it latter so i can see how it is - jus to GAS a little - but i've pretty much closed the deal with the cash+rack guy! I just want to see more pics and show you so i can have all my options covered and chose the best without any doubt!

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I may be a fan of Warwicks and I am speaking from experiences of buying and selling Warwick basses in the UK but... if someone has said that they are going to swap you a 74 Jazz for the the Thumb then you are the winner! There is no way on God's green earth that you will sell the Thumb for more than you would realistically get for a 74 Jazz (all things being equal with regard to condition), so it is a no brainer to trade and then try to sell the Thumb.

I've no doubt that at some point in the future Warwick prices will rocket (they can't go much lower :) ) but unless you can sit on that bass for 10/15/20/25 years then you'd be a fool to take the Warwick... and that's a hard thing for a fan of Warwick basses to say. :)

I've canceled the deal with the W and gave the green light to the rack+cash deal. I don't need more gear, especialy one i wouldn't move easily! I've got the serial, just out of curiosity here it goes: S-003880-94

The Jazz would be lovely but i'm a 5-stringer and i get all the jazzy sounds out of my TRB!

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!
Cheers

In my time on Basschat no-one, to my knowledge, knows more about Warwicks that warwickhunt. Along with him I am a great fan of Warwicks. Hear what he says and take note. A decent 90% 74 Jazz in decent condition will fetch about twice the current value of that Thumb. Even though the Thumb is arguably twice the bass.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147894' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:50 PM']I've canceled the deal with the W and gave the green light to the rack+cash deal. I don't need more gear, especialy one i wouldn't move easily! I've got the serial, just out of curiosity here it goes: S-003880-94

The Jazz would be lovely but i'm a 5-stringer and i get all the jazzy sounds out of my TRB!

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!
Cheers[/quote]

Hy there

Not late 80's neither early 90's. It was a 94 bass! The «S» seems a little odd because, usually, it represents the month (ex: A-January, B-February, C-March,...)

Cheers

Edited by w_joe

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1147348' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:58 PM']Why do you say that?

I saw pictures of 74 J's on the web, it should look like this one:

...but without the ashtray and with a neck PU cover!

I'll be getting pics of it latter so i can see how it is - jus to GAS a little - but i've pretty much closed the deal with the cash+rack guy! I just want to see more pics and show you so i can have all my options covered and chose the best without any doubt!

Cheers[/quote]
It's a 74RI then I should think.

[quote name='silddx' post='1147899' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:51 PM']In my time on Basschat no-one, to my knowledge, knows more about Warwicks that warwickhunt. Along with him I am a great fan of Warwicks. Hear what he says and take note. A decent 90% 74 Jazz in decent condition will fetch about twice the current value of that Thumb. Even though the Thumb is ten times the bass.[/quote]

Corrected that for you :)

If you don't like Warwicks then don't bother with that deal, the Fender deal could easily fall through. I paid £1k for mine last month and couldn't be happier! Personally i wouldn't pay £200 for an old Fender :)