Why become a member? ×

Beginners

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1144117' date='Feb 28 2011, 05:46 AM']Thanks Pete. Great little game that[/quote]
If you go beyond the note finder game and go deeper into the YTS tread,there is lots of good information. It's a good thread.
[quote name='untune' post='1144261' date='Feb 28 2011, 10:54 AM']What do all the grades actually involve? Likewise I've no idea where I am on that scale.[/quote]
First of all,if you haven't done the grades,you're not on the scale. Despite playing and teaching grade 8 I would never say I am a grade 8 because I've not taken any exams.
The grades are are fairly systematic approach to things like scales and arpeggios as well as technical aspects. Rockschool also has play along tracks.
My main gripe with Rockschool is the inclusion of tablature. I believe that learning to read properly should be a basic requirement of the grades.To me,the inclusion of tab kind of defeats the object of studying the grades.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1144309' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:40 AM']My main gripe with Rockschool is the inclusion of tablature. I believe that learning to read properly should be a basic requirement of the grades.To me,the inclusion of tab kind of defeats the object of studying the grades.[/quote]

As you know Im not a reader, and I benefit from Tab use sometimes, but Id be very upset if I paid money for lessons and they used TAB as a teaching material

[quote name='Johnston' post='1144761' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:31 PM']I reckon it totally depends on what the pupil wants whether tabs are acceptable or not in lessons 15 years ago I had no interest in notation and paying someone to teach me just so I could play U2 covers would have been a waste of my money[/quote]

Without derailing the thread....if someone is paying good money for lessons and the teacher leans heavily on tab,it is unacceptable.
It's not really a case if if the pupil wants it or not-it's more a case of if you are paying for music education,tablature should be eliminated very quickly,otherwise the teacher is ultimately doing you a disservice.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1144796' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:53 PM']But surely it's up to the customer (Pupil) Some folk don't want to learn notation and no real need. So why pay to learn something you don't want or need.[/quote]

Because notes are the language of music and are the best way of covering information,in conjunction with the ear. If a student wants to learn songs and patterns they can do that on their own outside of their lessons,but if they are paying for music lessons,notation should be a part of it as it is for pretty much every other instrument.

I'll try not to weigh in too much on the notation/tab discussion...I'll just duck from the impending fallout :)
But to comment on chilievans original post, took piano lessons when I was a kid (believe it or not, for some reason I really wanted to learn to play the organ...don't tell anybody else that). Stopped that and then years later was learning the 'cuatro' (Venezuelan instrument). Stopped that. Years later I just really wanted to learn bass. Stupidly stopped that years later. (sense a trend?) All during this time did not really know much theory. Fast forward about 12 years and I realised that I want to keep bass and music as part of my life. Forgive me if this sounds naive, but like chilievans I would really like to do something more with it in later years to come just for the passion of it even at my older age now. Still a beginner but I'll advance one day...but I think we will always keep learning

[quote name='Johnston' post='1144796' date='Feb 28 2011, 06:53 PM']But surely it's up to the customer (Pupil) Some folk don't want to learn notation and no real need. So why pay to learn something you don't want or need.[/quote]
Its also up to the teacher if he/she wants to teach you tab if you request it, You cant demand it from them.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1144804' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:02 PM']Because notes are the language of music and are the best way of covering information,in conjunction with the ear. If a student wants to learn songs and patterns they can do that on their own outside of their lessons,but if they are paying for music lessons,notation should be a part of it as it is for pretty much every other instrument.[/quote]
This also means the skill is transferable, How many frets does a flute have and on which string does the circle go? :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1144808' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:05 PM']I know flute players that don't read a note .[/quote]
We have been here before! I also direct you to the Bass Clef YTS thread and read past the game its a good thread like Doddy says.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1144885' date='Feb 28 2011, 08:01 PM']Its also up to the teacher if he/she wants to teach you tab if you request it, You cant demand it from them.[/quote]

Just clarifying my own point, What I mean is they can refuse to teach you if all you want to do is bang out U2 covers anyway, Not take your money each week telling you they will come to tab later, That would be unfair but as long as the teacher makes it clear what methods he/she wants to use you have a choice to go elsewhere.

Some guitarists turned bass tutors are good though remember and that highlights the point that reading is transferable. There is no reason why someone with good reading knowledge (The fact they may or may not be a pro is irrelevant) couldnt teach someone to read music well even if they were playing a different instrument to you although thats taking it to extremes I grant you and I would and have chosen someone bass orientated so as techniques etc can be learnt alongside.

[quote]There are a lots of very advanced and informative players on bass chat who are always willing to share their wisdom but how many beginners do we have? ... Is there any body else out there like me? Dont be shy[/quote]

I have been playing for about two years, but I was not too smart about how I went about it and spent way too much time fooling around. Also I was splitting my time playing guitar and bass, so the bass was no. 2. I've had to more or less start over: stick just with the bass, play scales, arpeggios, and practice rhythm changes daily, whether I like it or not (I don't, particularly--but it works). Got a lot of good advice here and got myself a good teacher, too.

Edited by tedgilley