Why become a member? ×

Hohner 'The Jack bass' Sold pending the usual.

Phantomnin

I've owned this bass for 20+ years. Bought it new in the bass centre.

I sold my other Hohner Jack on here last year.

But I now have a status streamline and another on order, so this is taking up space.

Price is £40. If I have to drop it off (Essex) or £30 if you come and pick it up (Chelmsford). I don't want to post this, as I think it needs to be looked at before purchase.

Bass is a stained brown colour, headless design (holds tuning well). This is the passive version and has a great deep dubby tone. Comes with battered guitar case. It also has a pickup holder attached. This was a tickon one, so should come off.

But...it has seen a lot of use, and I should have cleaned it more often. The bass needs a very good clean, and it has general light scratches. The pickup guards screws have corroded and will need work to get off. The pickup selector still works, but the tone doesn't and the volume works with crackle. It has one noticeable knock on the back of the neck, but it's has that for 18+ years and I still passed three grade exams with it.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Drew

Edited by Phantomnin

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1140229' date='Feb 24 2011, 07:23 PM']I've owned this bass for 20+ years. Bought it new in the bass centre.

I sold my other Hohner Jack on here last year.

But I now have a status streamline and another on order, so this is taking up space.

Price is £40. If I have to drop it off (Essex) or £30 if you come and pick it up (Chelmsford). I don't want to post this, as I think it needs to be looked at before purchase.

Bass is a stained brown colour, headless design (holds tuning well). This is the passive version and has a great deep dubby tone. Comes with battered guitar case. It also has a pickup holder attached. This was a tickon one, so should come off.

But...it has seen a lot of use, and I should have cleaned it more often. The bass needs a very good clean, and it has general light scratches. The pickup guards screws have corroded and will need work to get off. The pickup selector still works, but the tone doesn't and the volume works with crackle. It has one noticeable knock on the back of the neck, but it's has that for 18+ years and I still passed three grade exams with it.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Drew[/quote]

Drew,

I know it says you don't want to post it, but would it be possible for you to pack it up and if I arrange a courier? Been looking for a status-a-like for ages and am quite excited at the prospect of one that needs some TLC.

Matt

[quote name='gamester4520503' post='1140240' date='Feb 24 2011, 06:29 PM']Drew,

I know it says you don't want to post it, but would it be possible for you to pack it up and if I arrange a courier? Been looking for a status-a-like for ages and am quite excited at the prospect of one that needs some TLC.

Matt[/quote]

Hey Matt, if no one grabs it by Sunday, I will get back to you on that.
Hope that is OK.

Just thought I'd pass this on as it might be helpful to the buyer.

I've just bought a "The Jack" back to life that was in a worse condition than this. Ended up being a very nice bass - the buyer of this one has got a bargain (I paid more for mine in worse condition), if I'd been close to the seller I'd have been round like a shot! Mine is the single coil active version. Both of the volume pots needed replacing. I replaced like with like - they were 500k [b]linear[/b] taper. After having done this and being able to play with it for I while I've come to the conclusion that I don't think linear works very well for volume for me, and will be swapping them out for audio taper. The one being sold here looks like a humbucker version, and I don't know if the stock pots on it are the same as on mine (or if the setup is the same, mine has two volume and one stacked tone), but if the buyer is going to replace the volume pot(s) anyway as part of its refurb then it's something to consider.

(Moderators, if this should be somewhere else rather than in the advert please move. I've put it here so that the buyer will hopefully see it).

Edited by Ian2k

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1140858' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:22 AM']Just thought I'd pass this on as it might be helpful to the buyer.

I've just bought a "The Jack" back to life that was in a worse condition than this. Ended up being a very nice bass - the buyer of this one has got a bargain (I paid more for mine in worse condition), if I'd been close to the seller I'd have been round like a shot! Mine is the single coil active version. Both of the volume pots needed replacing. I replaced like with like - they were 500k [b]linear[/b] taper. After having done this and being able to play with it for I while I've come to the conclusion that I don't think linear works very well for volume for me, and will be swapping them out for audio taper. The one being sold here looks like a humbucker version, and I don't know if the stock pots on it are the same as on mine (or if the setup is the same, mine has two volume and one stacked tone), but if the buyer is going to replace the volume pot(s) anyway as part of its refurb then it's something to consider.

(Moderators, if this should be somewhere else rather than in the advert please move. I've put it here so that the buyer will hopefully see it).[/quote]
Good points. I will mention this post to the buyer when he picks it up.
It is the humbucker version. And it doesn't have the stacked pots. Yours (I believe) is a later model.
Glad to hear it can be restored, wish I had the time or skill to do it myself.

[quote name='Phantomnin' post='1141050' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:12 PM']Bass picked up and sold.

Thanks for the interest.

(Goes away quietly to shed a tear that it ill never be hung in the rock hall of fame like I always dreamed it would).[/quote]

How do you hang a headless bass up anyway?

I once went to a Hard Rock cafe' (Antwerp I think) and they had one of the Allman's guitars up on the wall, with a 4 inch screw though the neck.