Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Hyperdrive - love it!!!

mcnach

I don't get this excited about many pedals... but this little one (actually it's huge) surpassed all my expectations.

I've tried many overdrive/distortions, and got a few to work well for me, but never great. This really is a great pedal. It maintains the definition and low end, and you can really allow it to be as thick and/or as cutting as you like with the "Q" knob... Having a heavy distortion is not so difficult. I can get that with many others. But this pedal does a great "just a bit of grit" thick sound that still sounds like a bass, if you know what I mean. The type of distortion that you don't really know you are using distortion unless you hear the bass alone. I have just returned from my first rehearsal with it, and... I think I'm in love.

And it's not expensive.

If you are looking for an overdrive pedal that can do from "just a bit fat" to "I'm so metal I eat small children for breakfast" type of sounds... check this one out. I haven't found a video online that does it justice, so try if for yourselves... and fall in love (or not! :))

That's all.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1138956' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:15 PM']The Lomenzo version is great too! I'd like to A/B the Hyperdrive and the Hydrive,

i might actually when i get some more monies at the end of the month...[/quote]

The one I have (Hyperdrive) is the James Lomenzo one. I didn't know there was a "Hydrive" one too. Are they trying to confuse us??? :)

If you compare them I'd be interested to hear what you think.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1139648' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:54 AM']Glad you picked one up Jose, I think the other Ashdown drive pedal is the Drive Plus, it differs from the LoMenzo as it does not have the little Mid frequency switches (i think).[/quote]

It is confusing!

Haha

The LoMenzo only distorts the mids, the Drive plus Aka Hydrive only distorts the Higher frequencies/top end of the signal, its designed to sort of copy the set up John Entwistle had but in one box (though ask Garethox, its no substitute!)

Lomenzo gets good tone from it here

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq_ir0vjGXk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq_ir0vjGXk[/url]

very very mild

[quote name='Raggy' post='1139648' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:54 AM']Glad you picked one up Jose, I think the other Ashdown drive pedal is the Drive Plus, it differs from the LoMenzo as it does not have the little Mid frequency switches (i think).[/quote]

Yeah, I got one :)

very happy I did.

the mid frequency knob & switch is where the game is with this pedal. It can change the character of the sound so widely!