Why become a member? ×

Aguilar GS212 vs DB212 Are they the same cab ?

Algae

Anyone know if the GS212 and DB212 are the same cab but with different styling? From what I can see the spec is identical but the DB212 is about £100 more with a classic (fender style) look whereas the GS212 has a black grill. Are they the same just with a different appearance? I am looking to buy a 212 and am not sure if the DB is worth the extra £100. Cheers all.

[quote name='Algae' post='1136836' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:43 AM']Anyone know if the GS212 and DB212 are the same cab but with different styling? From what I can see the spec is identical but the DB212 is about £100 more with a classic (fender style) look whereas the GS212 has a black grill. Are they the same just with a different appearance? I am looking to buy a 212 and am not sure if the DB is worth the extra £100. Cheers all.[/quote]

Hey there,
the DB Range is designed to give fuller mids than the GS's provide.
I love the sound of the GS Range, but they are often described as sounding a bit "scooped" in the mid-range at volume.
To my ear, the GS's have a really full low-end, slightly shy mids which can provide a really aggressive tone.
The DB, again to my ear, has much more mid punch and a slightly more vintage tone.

My experience is based on the 1X12 cabs, but is probably relevant.
The DBs do look a lot cooler and are slightly heavier, but sound-wise, for me, I'll be heading back to the GS112(s) as soon as there's money/space/time (delete as appropriate).

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1136843' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:54 AM']Hey there,
the DB Range is designed to give fuller mids than the GS's provide.
I love the sound of the GS Range, but they are often described as sounding a bit "scooped" in the mid-range at volume.
To my ear, the GS's have a really full low-end, slightly shy mids which can provide a really aggressive tone.
The DB, again to my ear, has much more mid punch and a slightly more vintage tone.

My experience is based on the 1X12 cabs, but is probably relevant.
The DBs do look a lot cooler and are slightly heavier, but sound-wise, for me, I'll be heading back to the GS112(s) as soon as there's money/space/time (delete as appropriate).

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

+1

It's all about the mids.. I've tried both, if I was rich I'd have both, but the GS is more scooped as Eude mentioned. In general, by ears lean to the DB's, as I'm getting old :-) and like old sounding things, vintagey, but the GS really nice.. depends on the sound you want..

Both give a good full sound, but I thin the GS is a more modern 2x12 and the Db is more in the mids, but don't think the DB's are wooley by any means, it's still punchy

[quote name='eude' post='1136843' date='Feb 22 2011, 10:54 AM']My experience is based on the 1X12 cabs, but is probably relevant.[/quote]

Can I just add my 2p?

If you're planning on buying a pair of these cabs (2 x DB or 2 x GS), then I don't think there is much difference other than styling.

If you are just buying one cab, then Eude's advice about the mid scoop is spot on.

IF you put a GS112 AND a GS112NT together, the mid scoop problem pretty much disappears!

Completely different sound and completely different animal with two cabs (but means you have to pay for two cabs!)

So moneywise, DB is better value for just one cab and the GS112s if you're buying a pair.

Soundwise... only your ear can tell you which you prefer :)

Same chassis, different sound bias on the cabs for DB/GS 112 so I guess thet same would apply for the 212's

I'd love both as well...if for nothing else the DB looks great in classic black.

I need some bigger cabs for a couple of gigs this year so the DB's range are on the radar.
6x10 would be perfect, which they don't do.