Why become a member? ×

left to right hand conversion

slobluesine

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1135863' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:38 PM']this is with a 6 string acoustic guitar, LOTS of differing opinions on this it seems

anyone actually done it?[/quote]
Why not just flip the nut (if you can), swap the strings and tell us. Aught to take no more than 10 minutes.

I'll tell you now, the intonation will be out but if you just play open chords probably no one will notice.

1) The nut will need replacing.
2) The intonation will be shot unless you either replace or do some woodwork on the bridge.
3) If it's an electroacoustic then all of the controls will be on the underside of the body
4) The internal bracing will be all wrong as well (LH and RH guitars are braced differently).
5) Removing the pickguard will probably leave a witness mark on the soundboard.

I'd be more inclined to buy a RH instrument in the first place.
Any savings you might make by buying a LH guitar will probably be wiped out by the conversion attempt.

[quote name='icastle' post='1135879' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:46 PM']1) The nut will need replacing.
2) The intonation will be shot unless you either replace or do some woodwork on the bridge.
3) If it's an electroacoustic then all of the controls will be on the underside of the body
4) The internal bracing will be all wrong as well (LH and RH guitars are braced differently).
5) Removing the pickguard will probably leave a witness mark on the soundboard.

I'd be more inclined to buy a RH instrument in the first place.
Any savings you might make by buying a LH guitar will probably be wiped out by the conversion attempt.[/quote]

errr i think i'm out, then again i could learn to play cack handed i spose :)

thx all...

hmm, i'd have to side with icastle, it's a lot of work and possibly won't work, i'm guessing that you might be the first person to ask this question, usually it's the other way round with lefties trying to convert right handed guitars, i can see what the appeal was though, that's a pretty guitar at a stonking price if it could be done it would be a bargain.
i'd just look out for a bargain right handed guitar and leave this one for the lefties (they have a hard enough time as it is getting guitars, i once spent a whole day searching for a (red) leftie electric guitar for a friends step father, got one in the end but it took about 6 shops to find it. i got a lovely botle of malt whisky for my trouble and spent a whole day engaged in my favorite pastime!)

if you want a bargain acoustic keep your eye out for an aria, i've played loads of them of every age and they have never failed to raise a grin.

Matt

Edited by Matt P