Why become a member? ×

SVT 410 HLF Classic - Houston......................

grunge666

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to share my tale of woe and maybe gauge how I can go about salvaging my sanity, dignity and my rig!

I recently played my 1st gig with my own full rig.

SVT 3 Pro
Sansamp RBI - both from new.

& an SVT 410 HLF Classic - I've had this cab 2nd hand for about 3 years for £450 and only played it at low volume at home before this gig and now I'm gutted it may be a wreck!

I use the head and preamp every week through a Hartke 410 at our rehearsal rooms and it sounds righteous.
Sound checked at thte gig and I thought a cone had blown. It distorted so bad, a really farty flapping noise in the low range. Mids and highs were ok but low E was atrocious! I was expecting furniture movement!

I had the speakers out one by one and they all seem fine and wired according to the Ampeg wiring diagram I found online.

BUT, and this is the stinger - this has been reloaded with Eminence Kappa Pro's - these are 500w and 8ohms each! :)

So, instead of a 500w 4 ohm cab - I've got a 2000w 8ohm cab!

I really think the cab couldn't take it - and my SVT3Pro is clipping as I was trying to get something out of it.

I contacted Eminence and the only way to get the correct drivers (the original 100w ones!) is through Ampeg. So, I contacted LOUD and one of their approved dealers - £97.00 + VAT each speaker!! That's £465.60 for all 4!!

To say I'm gutted is an understatement and now I'm really struggling to find a way around it.

I'm thinking of selling the empty cab and drivers seperately and looking for another 2nd hand HLF with the correct drivers.

Or, try and find a 4ohm 500w sealed cab - swop the drivers over and see if I can at least use the HLF in some form and use the 500w drivers @ 8ohm for rehearsing?

Anyone got any ideas, thoughts - a length of rope I can fashion into a noose? :)

The cheapest thing you can do which may solve the problem is to retune the cab much higher. That will require shortening the ports, so the challenge is to find out if you can remove them relatively easily, cut them down and then glue them back in. The stock speakers are quite similar to these:

[url="http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_BP102"]http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-d...el=Legend_BP102[/url]

And you now have these:

[url="http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappa_Pro_10A"]http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-d...l=Kappa_Pro_10A[/url]

What's killing your tone is a combination of the higher Fs and lower Qts reducing the sensitivity in the lows (so your amp is running out of power) and the lack of Xmax (so although the replacement speakers can handle far more power thermally they can only handle a quarter as much power mechanically - i.e. without distorting in the lows). Shortening the ports will increase the sensitivity where you need it in the lows and reduce the excursion (mechanical) demands on the speakers.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1135785' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:05 PM']What's killing your tone is a combination of the higher Fs and lower Qts reducing the sensitivity in the lows (so your amp is running out of power) and the lack of Xmax (so although the replacement speakers can handle far more power thermally they can only handle a quarter as much power mechanically - i.e. without distorting in the lows). Shortening the ports will increase the sensitivity where you need it in the lows and reduce the excursion (mechanical) demands on the speakers.[/quote]
huh? but Xmax is ages away.

where abouts are you based matey? i have a 410hlf, but the cab covering is coming off, so i took the speakers out and made myself 2 little 210 cabs using the original hlf speakers!

if you wanted to do a swap, your speakers for mine then i may be up for that!

i'm notts/ derby area, and i'm guessing they would be heavy to post all 4!

rmshaw37 - dude, you've probably saved my life - I nearly bought another HLF on eBay today for £470 - my Mrs would've killed me!

Mate if you're up for that then yeah, that's great. I'm near J10 M6 - to be honest, for the right drivers I'd 'kin WALK!!

Pm me mate and we'll sort this out!

Man I'm stoked about this if it comes off!!
:)

BTW- just noticed you've got a Punisher - I'm a massive KISS fan! You should see my KISS sleeve tattoo!!

Edited by grunge666