Why become a member? ×

Old skool/New skool - in the mix

Jigster

Something that I've been giving a lot of thought to: general consensus being that Joe Public can't tell one bass apart from another (gross generalisation, but SOME truth per chance, and read often on here!!), so what is the tangible distinction, [b]mixed through a band PA[/b], between old school pups from say a 72 Fender Jazz, which has a definite period sound, in comparison to the more recent MIA Jazz circa 2009/2010??

Ergo: why spend the money on vintage prices in the first place!! :)

Any opinions?

Edited by Jigster

I believe that 'joe public' generally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a cello or a violin if listening to a classical piece of music. If I point out a bassline I like on the radio to co-workers,
some can't even isolate the instrument aurally. It's also debatable, that without prior knowledge or a visual clue, that even most bass players would struggle to name the brand/style or pickup type of the bass used
on the recording, or live for that matter.
However, if I may use a metaphor, a friend of mine is passionate about VW cars. He shows his Golf all over the country and has spent many hours and much cash making his stand out from the crowd.
He explained to me in great detail one day about the lengths he'd undertaken to source a leather interior for the car. "Very nice!" I said. He then pointed out the fact it was quite rare because his featured a rear armrest,
a feature unknown on his particular model/year and I could feel his enthusiasm, passion and pride about the car.
My point is, I doubt 99% of VW enthusiasts would notice this small detail, do you think 'joe public' would or even care.
Would many bassists at a gig notice a '72 pickup from a 2010? Probably not. But you'll know, and if it makes you happy, that's what matters. If anyone else notices, bonus!

Well looks are important and the feel is too so add on top the awesome sound and the fact more often than not the apparently over priced bass is gaining value rather than almost 100% of the time with new ones losing it and your answers are all there on a plate. I speak with experience from both angles as you can see from my gear list.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Jigster' post='1135609' date='Feb 21 2011, 03:23 PM']Something that I've been giving a lot of thought to: general consensus being that Joe Public can't tell one bass apart from another (gross generalisation, but SOME truth per chance, and read often on here!!)[/quote]
Only some truth?
Remember, there are people who don't know the difference between bass and guitar,let alone a '70's Jazz
and a new one.
Let's be honest,purely by listening alone I don't know anyone (player or otherwise)who could identify what bass is being
played,let alone how old it is-you can take an educated guess,but that's about it,but there are far too many variables to
be certain.

For a few weeks and only out of necessity, I had a mid 70's neck pup and the modern stock bridge pup in my 06/07 american standard jazz. They sounded bloody awful together.... never expected it to work and it didn't. The older pup overwhelmed the newer one being much louder and darker. The newer pup had more high end sparkle giving it a bigger overall tone, but alot less grunt. My jazz now wears wizard 84's which I think sound closer to the older pups than the new.