Why become a member? ×

Action

Bass-ic

[quote name='OldGit' post='131400' date='Jan 31 2008, 04:55 PM']Sorry I should have explained, he deosn't work for Sound Control (though they do have a good bloke called Joe on basses in there. Seek him out for help next time)

Eltham just rents the space from them.

Call him first to book a slot and make sure he's there. Don't just leave it with the SC people. You need some hands on time with Eltham so he can sus what you need.
07971 240296[/quote]

Ok, thats really helpful, thanks very much for that.
Matt (AB)

[quote name='ARGH' post='131438' date='Jan 31 2008, 05:55 PM']Ahhh you big set of girls.... Get some .110s on and stop playing soft like!

Learn the TONE.[/quote]

:) nice one ARGH, I just find using 110's madness, I lose all the ringing tone of a 105. I just put some 50's on for a gig tomorrow night, the band tune down a semi tone so it helps keep the tension......can I be in the heavy gang now????? :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='131558' date='Jan 31 2008, 09:29 PM']:huh: nice one ARGH, I just find using 110's madness, I lose all the ringing tone of a 105. I just put some 50's on for a gig tomorrow night, the band tune down a semi tone so it helps keep the tension......can I be in the heavy gang now????? ;)[/quote]

Wow Arrgh! You are so, well, [i]manly[/i] :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='131577' date='Jan 31 2008, 09:57 PM']Wow Arrgh! You are so, well, [i]manly[/i] :)[/quote]
Softies

Jack Bruce was/is using .120/115 in regular E,on his Thumb....Sheehan/Harris/Williams using heavys and in the case of the latter two ..flats...Jamerson had his strings a mile off the fingerboard,he was using those Tapewounds....

and given the tension/guages AND scale Upright persons have to contend with...I never hear them winge as they smack the crap out of their instruments with a set of Spirocores (combat zone strings..Ray Browns choice If I recall).

I break anything under .105 (which are what I use on Fretless's)

This will make you think.... I was using a 5 string set with the .130 low B tuned up to D (ditching the G string..they are for strippers) on my P Bass, 5 years back,It did mean I had to play everyday,and If I took a week off..it was a sharp reminder of regular practise.

Stupid idea in hindsight,because you need at least SOME top end,when playing. (Dub/Reggae excepted).

I like a click/clang when play so I can fill out space between the guitar and kick drum (it brings out the distortion..yes I use distortion...). Playing the 9 has been a strength exercise (.150 F sharp) as much as getting used to 35" scale,but near 3 months in..give it a similer amount of time Im going to go heavier again (.165 F sharp) and the process of weight training begins again...but what matters IS tone,low end..Heavy IS the only way to get real low end tone,and thats physics,more metal waving over the P/U=more going into the amp...

The Guitartech used to fail students of our 6 string bretheren,if they finished the one year course using ANYTHING less than .11s.

Its strength,at the days end...you want strength and you want BASS TONE,play your Bass more,ramp the action up,get a set of heavys.

...dont tickle it..hit it.

We've covered this subject before,about 15 months ago....I love Mick Karn he uses .85 on the low E,but I would bust that in seconds. And he dosent practise much.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Jase' post='131580' date='Jan 31 2008, 10:01 PM']Yep! he's manly alright....he's got a niner.......so I heard :)[/quote]

Soon to have an 11 too.....

(.195 low C sharp...Im not satisfied till Ive made the USA move Tectonically a good few miles further out of vibration and fear)

1st downpayment made.

FEAR ME!

[quote name='Jase' post='131414' date='Jan 31 2008, 05:25 PM']Cheers OG, I keep it pretty low with a lighter playing approach and more power/volume from my amp.

Freaked me out when I had my CIJ 62 the other week the vintage radius seems to give a higher action than the usual USA jazz radius. I've been tweaking the rod and making saddle adjustments for the last week or so :huh:[/quote]

I just can't do it as well as Eltham so I just take the planks to him when they need doing. Once they are sorted properly it's a fairly rare occurrence as I stick with the same strings and don't tend to fiddle with my proper basses :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='131630' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:11 PM']Soon to have an 11 too.....
(.195 low C sharp...Im not satisfied till Ive made the USA move Tectonically a good few miles further out of vibration and fear)[/quote]

couldn't just target that at one or two specific Americans could you?
Shock an' Awe, Ross, Shock an' Awe

FOUR!! is the law!!! Anyway, why did Harris go to flats? I didn't know our Jack was a heavy weight either.

Of course you realise people are going to end up vomiting and have bowel movements when you gig these sonic monsters!!

Good on ya mate :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='131641' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:23 PM']I just can't do it as well as Eltham so I just take the planks to him when they need doing. Once they are sorted properly it's a fairly rare occurrence as I stick with the same strings and don't tend to fiddle with my proper basses :)[/quote]

Haven't seen Eltham in ages, he did a marvellous fret job for me once, he's like a scientist of set up :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='131648' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:32 PM']FOUR!! is the law!!! Anyway, why did Harris go to flats? I didn't know our Jack was a heavy weight either.

Of course you realise people are going to end up vomiting and have bowel movements when you gig these sonic monsters!!

Good on ya mate :)[/quote]

Harris has ALWAYS used flats..Jacks terrible for breaking strings.

I break laws....f*** 4.

Im stronger than True

[quote name='ARGH' post='131653' date='Jan 31 2008, 11:43 PM']Harris has ALWAYS used flats..Jacks terrible for breaking strings.

I break laws....f*** 4.

Im stronger than True[/quote]

No way!! Harris never always used flats........did he? :) I can imagine Jack breaks strings with the technique he uses, like a pulling or plucking upwards.

[quote name='ARGH' post='131682' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:13 AM']Always been flats since the getgo

Heard that Rotosound was gonna stop making them...so started the endorsement thing,just to keep them going.[/quote]

You're dead right, I just read up on it, well I'll be damned :) he reckons he keeps his finger nails a little longer too!!! AND, he use the same bass, it's just had loads of paint jobs. I used to be well into Harris years ago but I've never been able to get the technique down, the galloping technique, the covers band I'm with at the moment do The Trooper ;) nightmare to play, I play a muted or damp second note to get me through it....don't think anyone's noticed yet :huh:

While we're on the subject of action and relief, who else shims their fender instruments? I know at least one person does on here, and I'm curious if anyone else does, the quite frankly mahoosive gap on my VMJ is annoying the crap out of me at times and I'm considering trialling it.

Edited by Buzz

fellas!
Umm, originally , i was trying to find out just how far my strings should be from the frets, as i could almost get my fingers through the gap on mine. This has been covered here , which is great, and many thanks for that, but i havent got as far as strings yet! what are you all on about!!! Strewth!
cheers
Matt (AB)

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131723' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:43 AM']fellas!
Umm, originally , i was trying to find out just how far my strings should be from the frets, as i could almost get my fingers through the gap on mine. This has been covered here , which is great, and many thanks for that, but i havent got as far as strings yet! what are you all on about!!! Strewth!
cheers
Matt (AB)[/quote]

Ha ha sorry
Just look upon it as a chat in the music shop with a few helpful people .. Tangents a go-go :)

Re strings .. There's a load of discussions on the forum about that already - do a search ..

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='131731' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:08 AM']Ha ha sorry
Just look upon it as a chat in the music shop with a few helpful people .. Tangents a go-go :)

Re strings .. There's a load of discussions on the forum about that already - do a search ..[/quote]

Am laughing.
Being the sort of handy , (possibly logical) person i am, i removed the bridge and made a new one. It is a simple bar affair, but it sems to have helped a bit. Am now down to a 4mm gap. Its started to buzz a bit tho.
Hmmm

[quote name='Jase' post='131686' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:38 AM']You're dead right, I just read up on it, well I'll be damned :) he reckons he keeps his finger nails a little longer too!!! AND, he use the same bass, it's just had loads of paint jobs. I used to be well into Harris years ago but I've never been able to get the technique down, the galloping technique, the covers band I'm with at the moment do The Trooper ;) nightmare to play, I play a muted or damp second note to get me through it....don't think anyone's noticed yet :huh:[/quote]

Crash course on Harris.

Crank the volume,roll off half to 3/4 treble (I take it you use roundwounds) and compress the signal to hell and back.

Jesus, some of you guys are a bit preachy on something that is purely subjective. YOU might like heavier gauge strings and YOU might think that anything else will result in crappy 'thin' tone. Just remember that not everyone is like YOU so can we stop touting personal opinion as fact?

I like a heavy gauge but have over the years lowered my action a good deal. it works for me but it wouldn't for others. Just my tuppence worth.

Excuse my ignorance (i've not played many basses) but i'm curious - When people talk about a bass 'playing nicely' - what are they refering to? (if action is a personal preference)... in my naivety i always assumed it was prefereable to have a low action because it makes the bass easier to play. obviously that isn't the case. i can get my head around the physics of a bass needing to balance, but what other factors make a bass 'play nice'... or 'not play nice'? ...i also assume this isn't anything to do with sound of the instrument?