Why become a member? ×

Simandl confusion

ZMech

Well, due to multiple people recomending it, i've got myself a copy of simandl part I. However, I can't see how bowing seemingly random notes is meant to help. Due to the exercises being so disjointed, and not even in costant key, i'm having difficulty telling whether my notes are in tune or not, so I can't really see how it's meant to help. Of course this may partly be due to having a slightly untrained ear, but I would've expected a book for beginners to be done in such a way to help that. Does anyone have any advice? not sure if i'm just missing something here, and at the moment it currently just feels like an unproductive chore.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Zach' post='1133646' date='Feb 19 2011, 06:03 PM']Well, due to multiple people recomending it, i've got myself a copy of simandl part I. However, I can't see how bowing seemingly random notes is meant to help. Due to the exercises being so disjointed, and not even in costant key, i'm having difficulty telling whether my notes are in tune or not, so I can't really see how it's meant to help. Of course this may partly be due to having a slightly untrained ear, but I would've expected a book for beginners to be done in such a way to help that. Does anyone have any advice? not sure if i'm just missing something here, and at the moment it currently just feels like an unproductive chore.[/quote]

Best to start work on these with a teacher present. As you say you
have difficulty telling whether you are in tune, then you are still really
feeling your way around the instrument. A decent teacher will put a lot
of these seemingly random exercises into focus for you.

[quote name='mybass' post='1142041' date='Feb 26 2011, 03:12 AM']Best to start work on these with a teacher present. As you say you
of these seemingly random exercises into focus for you.[/quote]

+1, that's what I'm doing, and I'm convinced my playing is benefitting from it. It's one thing just to plough through page after page of endless melodically dull exercises by yourself, but without feedback and correction from someone who has the appropriate experience, you won't necessarily develop an accurate a picture of where you're strentghs and weaknesses lie. I find lessons make my practice more productive and efficient

[quote name='endorka' post='1141627' date='Feb 25 2011, 07:22 PM']I seem to recall lessons in the early sections that are initially feature a bunch of enharmonic notes on the same string, then similar but with "joining the strings together".

OP, is this what you are referring to?

Jennifer[/quote]
Yeah those were the ones I had just played when I wrote the OP. I still pushed through anyway in the week that I wrote that, and now at the II position it's seeming to be more harmonic lines.

[quote name='mybass' post='1142041' date='Feb 26 2011, 03:12 AM']Best to start work on these with a teacher present. As you say you
of these seemingly random exercises into focus for you.[/quote]
The one I meant which I think was 'exercies for the connection of the four strings' seemed to have long sequences without even an open string. So my issue was after half a dozen only fretted notes, I found it hard to still tell what in tune sounded like, especially when it was using minor 7th jumps which isn't an interval i'm that used to.

Anyway, in the week since i've written that OP I've carried on, and it's now seeming to make more sense, but thanks for the advice and ecounragement.