Why become a member? ×

Greetings from a Yank.

Big Dave

Hello.

I am Dave. I live in the US. I am planning a trip to the UK soon and just wanted to aquaint myself with the music scene over there. I mostly was looking to pick up a bass that would be hard to find here and maybe bring a bass from here that is hard to find there. I am into hard rock and metal. I have been playing for well... about 8 years now but you wouldn't know it by listening to me. I will most likely be staying in the Brighton or Lewes area. I have already heard of a couple good music shops to go to and have been drooling over the Status Graphite basses for a couple weeks now untill today when I opened my inbox and there was the price list. I don't think even both of my kidneys are worth that much. I will probably be looking for a Warwick Thumb (I hear that it is to be pronounced "War Rick" Not "War Wick" as we say in the States.) I would also be interested in a killer looking headless bass that is not a Stainberger if anyone knows of any.

Thanks guys.

Big Dave

Edited by Big Dave

Welcome to the forum Big Dave. You are indeed big.

You'll be staying in one of the nicest parts of the country. Brighton is a great place. The main shop there is The Guitar, Amp and keyboard centre but I doubt you'll find anything in there that you wouldn't find in the states. Probably the best shop in the south is The Gallery in Camden which is another good area to visit, but be prepared to forfeit both kidneys when you see our prices :-)

Edited by PaulMartin

Welcome Dave. With the $ against the £, you'll find it hard to find a real bargain here I think. That's why we plan all our holidays to the States and bring back half-price guitars! That said, if you want to put a G&L L2000 in Blueburst in your hand luggage, I'll be more than happy to help you through the airport.

Enjoy Brighton, it's a great place for music.

ps: Warwick is "wo-rick" but without a pause between the syllables.

Edited by stingrayfan

Yes I am big, hence the name. My wife visited last year and said that if I visited I would easily be the largest man on the island. (she might have been exaggerating a bit) Looks like my best bet as far as bringing a bass with me would be a Lakland or a Fender. I really am only interested in a Warwick and figured since the Warwick factory is about 4500 miles closer to you than it is to me I might be able to save a few bucks. I am also interested in finding things to do while she is at school. I suppose I should mention that my wife is a 4th year psychology major going to study in Brighton for the summer (don't ask me, it has something to do with getting a couple extra letters after your name.) Anyway, let me know what you guys think I really know nothing about the UK.

Welcome Big Dave

If you are round all summer you might have time to pick up a used warwick form this very forum, which is going to be more cost effective than a brand spanking new one, all depends on what you are after. Used warwicks come up pretty frequently and folks on here have usually looked after their basses pretty well.

Have you seen warickhunts for sale thread he is selling his collection and there are some real beauties in there

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12376"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12376[/url]

Anyway have a fun time in Brighton

Pete

[quote name='The Burpster' post='130934' date='Jan 30 2008, 01:25 PM']A fish and chip shop?

:)[/quote]

British humor?

[quote name='sam88' post='130941' date='Jan 30 2008, 01:44 PM']ahhh fish and chips, if that isnt england itself i dont know what is.... maybe racists?
i heard chop suey is actualy american in the way that tikka masala is english. is that true?[/quote]

More?

Hiya back Dave from a Limey.

The important bit, if you want a good nuclear supper (fission chips) you'll need to try a few 'chippies' to get a really good one. I prefer haddock and chips as it's a tastier fish but its not always available and most go for cod and chips. When they say 'salt and vinegar?' just nod or say yes.

Bass prices here will all be higher than the US I suspect, including Warwicks. The US is a much bigger customer and prices are usually adjusted to disadvantage us poor Euro peons. Your best bet as already said would be to keep an eye on the forums. A Brit luthiers custom bass often comes up at a reasonable price 2nd hand and would be a really nice 'special' bass to take back to the US.

Luthiers to watch out for, ACG, Bernie Goodfellow (GB), Shuker, Sei, RJM and I know others will add to the list. I have an ACG and can't rate it too highly.

Brighton is a hoot, a centre of depravity! If you bring a JetGlo 4001 over I'll gladly pay your bus fare to take it off your hands.

Oh and I'm sure you'll get used to our 'sense of humour'.

Peter

Yeah I guess I'll just have to try a few. I am partial to fish and chips back home and I live 2000 miles from the ocean. Are the prices on the Bass Centre website correct. If they are I am sorry for all of you. I can get an EHX Big Muff for about $80 and that website has them for £85 so thats what $170? Jesus! And a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass driver DI is $200 here and £179 there. Wow I should just fill up a suitcase with American made effects pedals. Are there strict laws regarding knives there as there are laws regarding guns? I generally alwas carry a folding knife with about a 10cm blade on it and I wouldn't want to get in trouble for carrying a conceled weapon or something like that. Thanks for the heads up on luthiers to watch out for. I have always been a kind of out of the box musician so I have never really owned any custom instruments. I would really hate to come home with a high end piece of sh*t.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='131131' date='Jan 31 2008, 02:25 AM']Knives are a huge no no. Not worth the risk so don't be tempted. I'm ex Plod btw.[/quote]

Plod, that must mean police officer then right? I wouldn't be tempted to break the law. Carrying a knife is just what I am accustomed to. Guess I'll be leaving it at home. Unless... Anyone want to buy a Kershaw spring assisted knife? £50?

J/K
Thanks

[quote name='Big Dave' post='131126' date='Jan 31 2008, 09:16 AM']Yeah I guess I'll just have to try a few. I am partial to fish and chips back home and I live 2000 miles from the ocean. Are the prices on the Bass Centre website correct. If they are I am sorry for all of you. I can get an EHX Big Muff for about $80 and that website has them for £85 so thats what $170? Jesus! And a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass driver DI is $200 here and £179 there. Wow I should just fill up a suitcase with American made effects pedals. Are there strict laws regarding knives there as there are laws regarding guns? I generally alwas carry a folding knife with about a 10cm blade on it and I wouldn't want to get in trouble for carrying a conceled weapon or something like that. Thanks for the heads up on luthiers to watch out for. I have always been a kind of out of the box musician so I have never really owned any custom instruments. I would really hate to come home with a high end piece of sh*t.[/quote]

Well, if I were you I'd bring say a Stingray, a Lakland, a Jazz, a Precision AND a suitcase full of pedals - after all you are hoping to jam with your friends here :huh:

+1 for the blades - the legal limit is a 7.62mm blade and it has to be a folding knife - no lock knives, switchblades or daggers. Cops are usually ok about a leatherman with a locking blade as long as you have a 'reasonable excuse' for carrying it - i.e. a gigging musician and it's in a toolkit etc.

If I lived in Brighton I'd show you around, drink some proper english ale and find the best damn chippy in the town :)

Hamster

Hi Dave and welcome from a fellow Yank.

I've been over here for 12 years and love it. I hope you get to travel around a bit while you are over here. I live "up North" which to "southerners" is anything above the M25 :) . Seriously, get up to the Dales and Lakes and Peak District if you can. And also to the Highlands if possible. Stunningly beautiful.

You might try gravy on the side with your fish and chips for a variation. I personally never got accustomed to the salt and vinegar thing. I eat my chips with ketchup or gravy.

The $ to £ situation will make it rather hard for you to get a good deal here. You get hammered on the exchange so you will be right in looking for a trade more than a purchase.

Let me know if you come up to Leeds/Wakefield area and I'll take you to the local for a few pints and to the Empire for fish and chips. They even have a drive thru.

Enjoy the site.

Cheers,