Why become a member? ×

Elixir nanoweb strings improved?

PaulWarning

I've had about 6 sets of Elixir strings and although they last a long time the coating does start to come off fairly quickly where I batter them with my pick, but not this last set, they've been on about 3 months now and there's still no sign of them going all furry on me, anybody else notice this, have they improved them?

yes they improved.

i played on a bass 2 years ago, which had elixirs on it..i hated them. The coating was some kind of dim/grey and the strings seemd to be some kind of adhesive.
1 month ago i had some really good strings on a bass i played, i was surprised, they were really good and i didn`t know them..the bass owner told me that these were elixirs.
If i remember right..the first ones were called polyweb and the newr ones nanoweb..

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1139081' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:13 PM']yes they improved.

i played on a bass 2 years ago, which had elixirs on it..i hated them. The coating was some kind of dim/grey and the strings seemd to be some kind of adhesive.
1 month ago i had some really good strings on a bass i played, i was surprised, they were really good and i didn`t know them..the bass owner told me that these were elixirs.
If i remember right..the first ones were called polyweb and the newr ones nanoweb..[/quote]

Correct. In fact they still do polyweb as an option on their acoustic guitar strings, but all electric (guitar and bass) strings are now exclusively nanoweb which is a thinner less obvious coating that's just as effective, if not more so. Although this change was a lot longer than 3 months ago, so I suspect if what PaulWarning says is right, they may have improved them since they've been nanoweb.

Im glad someone else noticed this. Thought it was my fault 'breaking' them with my rampant thumb pick approach!

I bought an ibanez jetking with them on as standard/recommended about 2 years ago.
After a gig or two they were shredding little white 'pulls' everywhere. It looked horrid and i vowed to stick with ernies

Then went into a studio end of the summer 2010 and thought id treat myself just for the recording and got some new nanowebs, though a slightly higher guage.

Ok ive been rotating my basses this year but last year it was gigged twice a month min from August plus 4 hours rehearsal every week plus any play time i could afford on top of that at home. They are still on there now and havent gone dead yet. Ive even got a spare set of new strings i ordered to replace them but havent found a need to yet ...and in fact by Jan id got a lovely even mid tone that id been searching for since i started playing!

I stuck a set of nanowebs on my Fender Jazz 5 during my panto run,and within a week the coating started to flake off over the fingerboard and where I pluck. In fact,some of the coating got under my nail on my right hand,middle finger and caused an infection! I won't use them again.

I bought an Ibanez SR500 several months ago which came with Elixirs fitted.
So far, no sign of the dreaded threading and the strings still sound good and have settled in nicely.
I don't play that bass with a pick though, more to save the bass's finish than anything else.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1151643' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:16 PM']and within a week the coating started to flake off over the fingerboard and where I pluck. In fact,some of the coating got under my nail on my right hand,middle finger and caused an infection! I won't use them again.[/quote]

The newer ones no longer have that disgusting coating