Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Engineering Dual Band Bass Guitar Compressor

hhoward

i have fiddled in the past with compressors though always with the same setup and i decided at the time not to buy one, and all this time i have run clean except for the obvious sound effects but i have the opportunity to obtain an Ashdown Engineering Dual Band Bass Guitar Compressor now and i do a lot of slap and i do not understand the need of one because the adverts just say affect highs and lows and go into technical detail and i have a habit of going to sleep within 5 seconds of someone saying listen to this.

so i was wondering if someone can explain to me how this could enhance my rig, or recording in a way that and idiot can understand

i am running actives with pre-amps in my bass if this info helps

Thanks
HowardH

Compression, huh? ok.. hmmm now, what does that mean and what can it do related to a bass amp? Let's analize it. You pluck a note, and the speaker literally spouts it out flapping the cone paper for the duration of your note with all the nuances of your individual touch, the vibrating force of the strings and with all its peaks, both wanted or unwanted, sometimes your touch can push out more volume/power than you actually need and in a song an excessive peak can quite possibly make you sound like you are overdoing it and place you way above the required volume intended. If a plucked note gives out more than you intended, your only other option is a softer approach, turn the amp down or pal muting, or using bridge mutes or anything you feel comfortable with to keep your presence stable but not too impeding over the other members of your band.

A compressor / limiter, takes the guess work out of your picking style by channelling (read forcing) all your strokes into a defined range, now what that does, once presetted to an optimal range, enhances those strokes you played too weak or puts a cap on those you played too hard that would otherwise make you sound too loud. I am really talking basic terms, but that is the idea. A good compressor is indeed your friend in many occasions, it becomes particularly good to compensate for those dodgy venues where all your sound is strangely dispersed like for instance a raised stage, that can often suck the bass from underneath and no matter how much you turn up you are always losing half your attack making you fight with your own performance song after song.

Now I have not tried the Ashdown Dual Band, but... you know that Trace Elliot used to make a dual band compressor called the SMX or something which was a SUPER pukka compressor and if I appreciate that Ashdown basically morphed from Trace Elliot that their pedal can only be as good as Trace's used to be if not better.

However if you are flush I can only recommend the Mark Bass Compressore as the leading edge compressor pedal out all the other ones I have tried.

One last thing, a Dual compressors allows you to enhance/limit individually two different sonic ranges: LOWS and HIGHS separately, the Trace Elliot one also had an overall eq knob so that your 2 enhanced frequencies could be adjusted to be more or less within the same peak, I am not sure if the Ashdown has something similar but that EQ knob was extremely useful because if you mocked up with the compression of the LOWS you could make the final adjustments with it.

Good luck

Grand Wazoo, you are a genius and i completely understand what you are saying,
why don't these stupid companies speak the same way? we are musicians not engineers, they would probably sell more.
i really appreciate all of your effort and thanks to you i will now go and buy that one
the owner says that it is the later one which is good because apparently the earlier ones , well here are his words
Please note that this is the updated version - I've checked the resistor values inside. Be aware of the earlier versions that can clip with high-output active basses. Used it very well on my very active Stingray5.
and also he made some improvements apparently
thanks again
HowardH

[quote name='hhoward' post='1129369' date='Feb 16 2011, 11:04 AM']i have fiddled in the past with compressors though always with the same setup and i decided at the time not to buy one, and all this time i have run clean except for the obvious sound effects but i have the opportunity to obtain an Ashdown Engineering Dual Band Bass Guitar Compressor now and i do a lot of slap and i do not understand the need of one because the adverts just say affect highs and lows and go into technical detail and i have a habit of going to sleep within 5 seconds of someone saying listen to this.

so i was wondering if someone can explain to me how this could enhance my rig, or recording in a way that and idiot can understand

i am running actives with pre-amps in my bass if this info helps

Thanks
HowardH[/quote]

Trace Elliot Smx dual band stomp box= the muts nuts
Ashdown Dual Band = not so good

Why? Headroom the SMX was an 18 volt high headroom monster the ash is only 9 volt and the headroom is a little biff
The ultimate modern dual band pedal is a FEA labs SMX , different circuit to the trace more clean and hifi i.e up to modern standards but uses the same presets and even bigger headroom as the trace smx its prefecto why change it!

[quote name='dan670844' post='1129552' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:00 PM']Trace Elliot Smx dual band stomp box= the muts nuts
Ashdown Dual Band = not so good

Why? Headroom the SMX was an 18 volt high headroom monster the ash is only 9 volt and the headroom is a little biff
The ultimate modern dual band pedal is a FEA labs SMX , different circuit to the trace more clean and hifi i.e up to modern standards but uses the same presets and even bigger headroom as the trace smx its prefecto why change it![/quote]

interesting Dan, what is the difference between them i wonder?

[quote name='hhoward' post='1129569' date='Feb 16 2011, 01:11 PM']interesting Dan, what is the difference between them i wonder?[/quote]

Just the headroom essentially the same circuit i guess shame as most of their other 'reissue' :) stuff is in many ways better than the original stuff!!! think 427, 4x8 MKhead etc (series 6 gp12 !!). Why change perfection! better just to make it with more modern components. If you really must have a stomp box unit check out a Fea unit if thats too pricely go for a Markbass then after that an ebs but with the ebs be prepared to tweak the trim pots inside as they drift for some reason. Or alternatively go onto ebay and see if there are any smx pedals around they are still hard to beat for live work as they are so easy to set and get a good sound (£30 will secure a good one). Just make sure you feed enough signal into them i.e. so the light is green (it can take a lot of signal !!) it doesnt work if there isnt enough signal going in ie a red light turn the low compressor up halfway eq job done solid tight low end, turn the low compressor up further to like 3/4 turn the the eq balance 1/4 turn to the left reggae dub heaven very thick heavy warm thump with attenuated attack sweet.

[quote name='fatback' post='1129628' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:45 PM']TE SMX is totally fab.

And I just happen to be selling mine :)[/quote]

oops i got confused i am chatting at the moment, my email is [email protected]

pls write me asap because if until tomorrow tomake up my mid on the other one and wazzoo has sold me on the idea

regards HowardH

[quote name='dan670844' post='1129699' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:45 PM']Just the headroom essentially the same circuit i guess shame as most of their other 'reissue' :) stuff is in many ways better than the original stuff!!! think 427, 4x8 MKhead etc (series 6 gp12 !!). Why change perfection! better just to make it with more modern components. If you really must have a stomp box unit check out a Fea unit if thats too pricely go for a Markbass then after that an ebs but with the ebs be prepared to tweak the trim pots inside as they drift for some reason. Or alternatively go onto ebay and see if there are any smx pedals around they are still hard to beat for live work as they are so easy to set and get a good sound (£30 will secure a good one). Just make sure you feed enough signal into them i.e. so the light is green (it can take a lot of signal !!) it doesnt work if there isnt enough signal going in ie a red light turn the low compressor up halfway eq job done solid tight low end, turn the low compressor up further to like 3/4 turn the the eq balance 1/4 turn to the left reggae dub heaven very thick heavy warm thump with attenuated attack sweet.[/quote]

Dan you make me excited about getting it now, i do hope that te smx contacts me soon about his unit, i only have until tomorrow afternoon on the other one

thanks for your input Dan

regards HowardH

[quote name='hhoward' post='1129717' date='Feb 16 2011, 02:57 PM']hi grand wazoo [email protected]

please add me if you are with yahoo, to let me know about it[/quote]

Why are you asking me, I am not the one selling it!

I said its a great pedal and you'd be mad to miss out on it, I also said I haven't tried the Ashdown one so I can't pronounce myself on that one.

I have recommeded you a more expensive Mark Bass which is a lot of dough (about £180) and it stands on the ultimate end of the scale, with studio like performance and tube drive, (yes it's got an ECC83 inside!!)

here is a review of it [url="http://217.64.194.186/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152"]http://217.64.194.186/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=152[/url]

The on-board Spectracomp on my TC Electronic Classic 450 works very well. Probably the most effective on-board compressor I`ve come across, it really evens things out. At quiet volumes it seems to withdraw all the lows, but running at band volume all that happens is the lows are well-defined without any booming, and the high notes are present in the mix with the same power. Makes the bass sit in the mix, rather than below it. Very impressed.

Up until this, I`ve used the Behringer DC9 which the reviewer rates highly - for the price. I agree, not a bad pedal at all, and a good way to see if compression is for you. If it is, then spend the dough on a really good one, keep the DC9 as a backup. If not, well it wasn`t a huge waste of money.

A couple of years ago I was in the market for a compressor after using an EHX White Finger on one of our songs in the studio. The song was played with a pick & the bassline didn't have any real dynamics in it, just a nice gritty rock sound.
I then tried quite a few compressors & found that other than for a few songs, I couldn't get one that wouldn't flatten out my dynamics (it makes the quiet bits louder & the loud bits quieter, no good for me) & it also increased the background noise floor if put after my fx (didn't want to put it before my filter as every note would be the same if I use the envelope follower!).
I really wanted a compressor sustainer too so I could get big long notes that could evolve in tone.

I've never tried the TE tho & those who use comps say they are good.

I've had two TE dual band comps, and they worked well enough, but robbed a lot of actual 'bass' from my tone. It got to the point where it sounded more like a shelving EQ than compressor. Now I use rack stuff that's WAY better, and I'm still a bass player, not a baritone guitarist! :)

Edited by paul_5