Why become a member? ×

Neck problem

MatthewKeys

Hey there, I bought a mexican fender jazz with seymour duncan hot stks for 260 the other day, and I just noticed this 'crack' in the neck (on the brown wood line). Is this serious, and is it going to affect playability or affect the bass in the long run?

Thanks

Edited by MatthewKeys

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1124193' date='Feb 11 2011, 06:53 PM']Hey there, I bought a mexican fender jazz with seymour duncan hot stks for 260 the other day, and I just noticed this 'crack' in the neck (on the brown wood line). Is this serious, and is it going to affect playability or affect the bass in the long run?

Thanks[/quote]
Possibly a sign the truss rod is forcing the skunk strip out, or damaged it in some way. Take it to a decent repairer or luthier and get advice. It could easily be repairable or a symptom of something more serious.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1124315' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:29 PM']is it actually a crack or a grain line or a crack in the laquer? It could any one of those from your pic.

TBH it doesnt look like the right shape to be a crack I have seen in necks before..... But I'm not close enough to see it.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's a crack in the wood, unfortunately?

I have two options:
1. Send the bass back and get full 260 pound refund.
2. Accept around 70 pounds compensation for the crack, which I could use to buy a new neck. Maybe I could trade this neck and my £70 for a maple neck, is that realistic?

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1124492' date='Feb 11 2011, 11:02 PM']Sure? Out of curiosity, what is the consequences of having this crack in the neck, like what is going to happen to it eventually?

Thanks[/quote]

I'd just not want the hassle. Unless you think it's a bargain, that could, could be structural. Only a luthier could really know. I'd play safe and get it a refund.

is the crack the slightly darker zig-zag looking 'grain' running along the stripe? My eyes aren't that great, strange that it zig-zags if I'm looking at it right?

....mind you, even I can see the dig in the neck, what was he using the bass for, banging in fence posts?

ask for a full refund.

....the vendor has agreed, [i]sight unseen[/i], to a compensation sum...hmm 'interesting'.

Edited by iconic

A crack can zig zag a bit along (and slightly across) the grain. Like the other posters, it looks like the truss rod is pushing on the skunk strip (a new term to me, thanks Nigel)
You could get a new neck, but resale would plummet, so I'd go for the refund.

note - I'm not a luthier, but work with wood every day and know it intimately. Well.....not THAT intimately!

Would you buy a car with a slightly blowing head gasket then when offered a full no questions asked refund from the dealer say "well just out of curiosity I will keep it and drive it until it goes completley just to see how undriveable and unsellable it is"?. If the answers yes then keep it if its no then send it back........

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1124444' date='Feb 11 2011, 10:14 PM']I'm pretty sure it's a crack in the wood, unfortunately?

I have two options:
1. Send the bass back and get full 260 pound refund.
2. Accept around 70 pounds compensation for the crack, which I could use to buy a new neck. Maybe I could trade this neck and my £70 for a maple neck, is that realistic?[/quote]

Matt,

Pretty sure wouldnt be good enough for me. I would want to know for sure - then you can act accordingly.

My opinion FWIW is get a full refund and send it back. If you are not 100% happy with it now you never will be.