Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Status S2 Classic Headless 6er

Johngh

Here is my new Status S2 Classic Headless 6 string. Facing is Cocobolo, back is Mahogany, centre block is Walnut and its finished off with Gold hardware. Its been played in anger for the first time today and its absolutely brilliant.
I went down to the Status factory to pick it up, and had a good hour chatting with Dawn, it was great to see her again. Anyhow, to say I was stunned by the quality of this bass is an understatement, it is stunning, the photos just don't do it justice. It will be at the Bash if anyone fancy's having a go.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='128965' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:29 PM']Very Nice!

Why do you prefure the Headless?[/quote]

I dunno really, part of it is I'm sick of trying to put the head of a bass through low club ceilings when I take them off. And they do tend to stay in tune better. I have a Status S2 headed 5er as well, but I think if its Status, then it should be headless !

That's one beautiful looking bass :)

Whilst on the "why headless" question.. Could you answer a question for me...

Do you find a difference between headless basses with double ball end strings and those using 'regular' strings but are clamped ?

I do like the headless design (have owned a couple in the past), but I have a fear of the clamps slipping over time and a large string then slapping me in the face (mentally scarred by being caught by a violin string breaking cutting my face when I was a kid).

[quote name='7string' post='129022' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:22 AM']I do like the headless design (have owned a couple in the past), but I have a fear of the clamps slipping over time and a large string then slapping me in the face (mentally scarred by being caught by a violin string breaking cutting my face when I was a kid).[/quote]
i had that too with a violin haha

that bass looks awesome mate

[quote name='7string' post='129022' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:22 AM']That's one beautiful looking bass :)

Whilst on the "why headless" question.. Could you answer a question for me...

Do you find a difference between headless basses with double ball end strings and those using 'regular' strings but are clamped ?

I do like the headless design (have owned a couple in the past), but I have a fear of the clamps slipping over time and a large string then slapping me in the face (mentally scarred by being caught by a violin string breaking cutting my face when I was a kid).[/quote]

The Bass in my Avatar is a Shuker 6 string headless. When Jon made it for me it was fitted with a clamp system to retain the strings at the head end of the neck. I didn't like it, its way to fiddly when changing strings, and I thought it may wear over time so I asked him to make me a double ball end string retainer, which the bass now has fitted.
The Status has both fitted as standard, I love double ball end strings they take about a minute each to change.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Johngh' post='129057' date='Jan 28 2008, 07:07 AM']The Bass in my Avatar is a Shuker 6 string headless. When Jon made it for me it was fitted with a clamp system to retain the strings at the head end of the neck. I didn't like it, its way to fiddly when changing strings, and I thought it may wear over time so I asked him to make me a double ball end string retainer, which the bass now has fitted.
The Status has both fitted as standard, I love double ball end strings they take about a minute each to change.[/quote]

+1 for that..... I couldn't go back to headed basses ever!!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='129592' date='Jan 28 2008, 09:33 PM']Lovely lump of CG you have there, John... Let me know when you're ready to move this one on :huh: I've got a thing for six-stringers at the moment!

I'll be down at Colchester at the end of next month to pick up my new KingBass Artist :) Was the MK flightcase still in the corner of Rob's workshop?[/quote]

I doubt this one will ever get moved on. I've got a Status S2 5er thru that I bought new from Status in 1999, that is also a keeper. Its bad news going down to the Status factory, they had a beautiful Streamliner in green with blue LED's that I'm gassing for now, never thought I would like a Streamliner, but in the flesh they look great, and yes, the MK flightcase was still in the corner.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='128965' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:29 PM']Very Nice!

Why do you prefure the Headless?[/quote]

In my opinion they balance so well. And I guess thats even more important being a sixer. I had a Thumb 5 that was so top heavy it was almost unplayable! Headless basses rule!

• 1 month later...