Why become a member? ×

Mike Burkett NOFX effects

juice

hi to all,

I was wondering after listening to some great live NOFX and Me First and the gimme gimmes tracks what Fat Mike uses to get his sound. I can't find the answer through my googling so wondered if anyone here knows.

thanks in advance,

juice

[quote name='waltsdog' post='1123418' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:48 PM']I would guess he just uses bass>valve amp, think he uses Ampeg or Mesa's live. Unless you can point to a specific sound somewhere?[/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE190Dt95Hs&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXdEwZmt5i91hXN5c-LbNveu"]This is the NOFX track I was listening to[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1123427' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:58 PM']P Bass or J Bass, played VERY fast with a pick, with overdriven tube amps. A Sansamp BDDI gets you close :)[/quote]
I think I need to invest in a Sansamp or similar do you think there is compression in the fx chain?

Thanks for your help.

[quote name='Wil' post='1123589' date='Feb 11 2011, 09:42 AM']When I saw NOFX live, he was playing his Danelectro DC 59 into an Ampeg head and an Ampeg 8x10, as far as I could make out. Great sound out front too, punchy and slightly overdriven.[/quote]

Yeah he uses those live because they are so lightweight and dont give him shoulder/back ache. They suit him down to the gorund, but he used to use Ps all the time live.

[quote name='juice' post='1123517' date='Feb 11 2011, 07:44 AM']I think I need to invest in a Sansamp or similar do you think there is compression in the fx chain?[/quote]

I cant imagine he sets it up with compression, but he does record bands himself so no doubt knows exactly how to make things sound like he wants. So, Im not 100%.

The Sansamp will do it, definitely. I only use compression on my TC amp because its there, but not very often for punk/hardcore, etc.

Live, he seems to play right near the neck quite a lot. A very underrated player/frontman :)