Why become a member? ×

Strings are making a funny noise acoustically.

xgsjx

Hey guys, bit of a puzzler for me here.
I get an unusual sound from playing any string, any fret or open, from my bass itself. I haven't noticed it when I'm amplified, only unplugged. It's kinda like a very fast rattle that's almost like White noise (if that makes sense).
I've tried checking for loose screws etc but all is tight. Sounds like it's coming from around the bridge area, tho I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1120476' date='Feb 8 2011, 07:35 PM']Hey guys, bit of a puzzler for me here.
I get an unusual sound from playing any string, any fret or open, from my bass itself. I haven't noticed it when I'm amplified, only unplugged. It's kinda like a very fast rattle that's almost like White noise (if that makes sense).
I've tried checking for loose screws etc but all is tight. Sounds like it's coming from around the bridge area, tho I could be wrong.[/quote]

That's a tough one to try and fix without experiencing it in the flesh. :)

Best bet would probably be to create the rattle whilst sat down and comfortable and use a finger to wander around all the metallic parts on the bridge until you can switch it 'on and off' by touch.
Once you have narrowed it down to a specific component you'll probably spot something isn't quite where it should be and be able to rectify it!

That's true. It was on the off that someone had something similar in the past.

I've tightened everything up that a screwdriver or allen key will fit, from the strap button to the last screw in the machine heads, some things wouldn't turn at all & others moved just a ball hair & it seems to have reduced it dramatically :)

I wish I'd just tried one thing at a time & played a string so I knew what the change was. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1123761' date='Feb 11 2011, 12:44 PM']That's true. It was on the off that someone had something similar in the past.

I've tightened everything up that a screwdriver or allen key will fit, from the strap button to the last screw in the machine heads, some things wouldn't turn at all & others moved just a ball hair & it seems to have reduced it dramatically :)

I wish I'd just tried one thing at a time & played a string so I knew what the change was. :)[/quote]

just cos a screw wont turn it doesnt mean its properly holding down what it should hold down, might be best to loosen them, then tighten them.

Is it still there if you dampen the other strings as you pluck them one at a time ? My daughter had a Westfield Precision copy that came from ebay that did something similar, a tweak on the truss rod improved it, even though it felt tight.

Cheers guys,

I've had a look at the ball ends & they seem fine. It's strung with a fairly young set of TI Jazz flats.

Good point about giving any screws a loosen then tighten, I'll try it. It's still there if I dampen the other strings. Never thought about adjusting the truss rod as I checked for fret buzz first & it's not that. I'll try that next.

My bridge doesn't have any springs on it, there's locking screws that you tighten once all adjustments have been made.

The sound does seem to come from the body area but it could be anywhere between the bridge & neck. I'll try the PU covers too incase it's them rattling from the vibration. :)