Why become a member? ×

Mesa walkabout

Phil-osopher10

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1119595' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:41 PM']So I have the walkabout scout and it has two outputs that say (8Ohm) beside them, is it possible to run just one 4Ohm cab off it?[/quote]

Yes.
If you look at the back panel it says "Suggested Load 4 ohms" and then gives you two sockets labelled "8 ohms" to achieve that.
As long as you only hang a single 4Ω cab off of one of those two sockets you'll be fine.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1119595' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:41 PM']So I have the walkabout scout and it has two outputs that say (8Ohm) beside them, is it possible to run just one 4Ohm cab off it?[/quote]

If its the combo I believe the impedance of the internal speaker is 4 ohms allready, which means the amp will be running at 2 ohms if you connect another 4 ohm cab to it.

[quote name='Subthumper' post='1120200' date='Feb 8 2011, 03:52 PM']If its the combo I believe the impedance of the internal speaker is 4 ohms allready, which means the amp will be running at 2 ohms if you connect another 4 ohm cab to it.[/quote]

That may be the case, but it has got two parallel extension sockets labelled as 8Ω, so a 4Ω load is within the design parameters.

Are you sure it blew because it was running at 2ohm...?

A Mesa engineer posted on TalkBass a while ago that they were OK at 2ohm. Quite a few TBer's ran them at 2ohm subsequently, including open-air gigs in the South-Western heat, and no-one has reported any problems. I ran mine at 2.67ohm with no problems at all.

If you know for a fact the one you worked on popped because it was running at 2ohm, you might want to post your experience on the Walkabout megathread over there. I think people would find it interesting.

Edited by wateroftyne

I'm only saying what I found in this particular case. The mesa website seems to only give an output rating of 4 ohms. I'd have thought that a £1500+ amp would have better information on itself and no I'm not going on the walkabout megathread. Mesa can do their own research considering their gear is grossly overpriced.