Why become a member? ×

Which One For A First Guitar?

gothpugs

Which one of these would be better for a first base?

They are both in good condition and within budget.

Aria Pro II FB

or

Yamaha rbx170

Wanting to play mostly rock/metal :)

Just wanted to add that the whole "Play it and see which feels best" won't really work for me as I can't play yet and don't know anyone that can
Just wanted to know people's views.

From what i can find the Yamaha is better reviewed, but I'm struggling to find much on the aria.

Edited by gothpugs

They're both similarly spec'd instruments and won't sound vastly different to each other.

The 80's Aria's have seen a resurgence in popularity over the past few years (I've got one) but the ones from the 90's, which the FB is, were not of the same quality that their earlier brothers were - they were made in a different factory, with different owners who had bought the brand.

As much as I feel an alliegence to the Aria name, all things considered, I'd probably focus on the Yamaha.

I understand that playing it to try it out isn't an option for you at the moment, but at least try them on and see how they feel comfort and weight wise.
If it feels comfy then you'll be more inclined to learn how to play it and progress faster... :)

[quote name='gothpugs' post='1116068' date='Feb 5 2011, 12:23 AM']Thanks for that, I do like the look of the yamaha better :)[/quote]

Well that's got to be a good starting point. :)
The RBX170 is still a current model (as far as I know the FB is no longer made) and Yamaha have a pretty good reputation as far as overall quality is concerned.

Having worked in shops selling both, I'd say that the feel and overall quality of the Yamaha is far superior. They really are unbeatable for the money.

If you can stretch to it, the RBX270 is even better (solid Alder body, better pickups and tuners). I picked one up off Gumtree a few months back for £70 in very good condition.

Edited by TRBboy