Why become a member? ×

The Pino Project

faceman

I am starting to put together my own Precision Bass in the vein of the Pino Palladino Custom Shop '62 reissue, albeit it at a lower cost! It began with the Squier CV I owned last year that I loved but couldn't afford to keep, so I started from scratch.

My base (!) is a Fender '62 CIJ reissue in Fiesta Red, will post photos of it soon. My plans are to replace strings, change the pick guard with a tortoise-shell one, deck it out with chrome covers and potentially upgrade the pickup.

At the moment, it has awful rounds on it so that is the first thing to replace. I know that the Pino CS comes with TI flatwounds but I'm looking for something with a little more growl. I am really looking for the sound of Donald Duck Dunn on Blues Brothers album. The growl that he gets from his P is phenomenal and that's what I am looking for. A sound along the lines of this

What flatwounds could you recommend basing it on this? I know that example was a maple-neck but obviously mine is rosewood, will this make much of a difference?

Thanks, as ever!

[quote name='faceman' post='1115002' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:17 AM']What flatwounds could you recommend basing it on this? I know that example was a maple-neck but obviously mine is rosewood, will this make much of a difference?[/quote]
The Pino Custom Shop uses Thomastik Infeld JF344 flats - these [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/624-thomastik_jf344_jazz_flatwound_bass_43_100_"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/62...nd_bass_43_100_[/url]

They are relatively skinny and flexible. If you prefer a bit more tension there are D'Addario Chromes or La Bella Deep Talkin Flats in various gauges. All will give you that sound but equally all will sound bright for the first few weeks of use (until they have settled down and absorbed oils from your fingers etc at which point they become really smooth and a joy to play)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1115081' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:18 AM']I like Status Hotwires. I've tried all the usually recommended (and expensive) ones but the Status ones for me have a broader more even tone, whereas TI's for example (not tried the specific ones above) are more [b]focus in the lower mid range[/b].[/quote]

I'd say that's where a lot of Pino's tone is though.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1115300' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:07 PM']I'd say that's where a lot of Pino's tone is though.[/quote]
Fair enough but if you start with a broad pallet in the first place then you can fine tune to desired tone much easier be it with your amps controls etc. or the position you play from.

Attached are some 'before' photos, stock as I picked it up yesterday! It looks beautiful as it is now actually.

I'm mainly going to the Pino look but the Duck Dunn sound. Obviously they similar as they are both flatwound, traditional groove sounds but Dunn has more bite to his :)

Just been to the Bass Gallery and had a look at the La Bella and TI flats but not willing to spend £45/47 on a pair of strings. On the phone to Status to try and get some in the post today!

And thanks Steve but want to keep the neck as it is, for the moment.

Edited by faceman

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1115397' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:54 PM']Fair enough but if you start with a broad pallet in the first place then you can fine tune to desired tone much easier be it with your amps controls etc. or the position you play from.[/quote]

[quote name='faceman']I'm mainly going to the Pino look but the Duck Dunn sound.[/quote]

In that case listen to Ou7Shined!

[quote name='MythSte' post='1115649' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:41 PM']In that case listen to Ou7Shined![/quote]

I did, ordered the Status strings today, should be with me tomorrow. Just been jamming along to some Blues Brothers and Floyd and the bass sounds great. Can't wait through for the flats.

Now, any recommendations on where to look for a tortoiseshell pickguard?

[quote name='faceman' post='1115961' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:23 PM']I did, ordered the Status strings today, should be with me tomorrow. Just been jamming along to some Blues Brothers and Floyd and the bass sounds great. Can't wait through for the flats.

Now, any recommendations on where to look for a tortoiseshell pickguard?[/quote]
Stick up an items wanted ad on BassChat - bound to be one kicking around! Failing that get Bass Doc to make you one - he has nice 70's style tort material at his disposal and does a great job

[quote name='faceman' post='1115465' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:37 PM']Attached are some 'before' photos, stock as I picked it up yesterday! It looks beautiful as it is now actually.

I'm mainly going to the Pino look but the Duck Dunn sound. Obviously they similar as they are both flatwound, traditional groove sounds but Dunn has more bite to his :)

Just been to the Bass Gallery and had a look at the La Bella and TI flats but not willing to spend £45/47 on a pair of strings. On the phone to Status to try and get some in the post today!

And thanks Steve but want to keep the neck as it is, for the moment.[/quote]

Forgive my possible ignorance here but, is that Fiesta red? looks a lot like candy apple in the pics?