Why become a member? ×

Laptop terrible sound...

Phil-osopher10

I run my bass to a pre amp then to the microphone jack on my sony laptop then from the headphone socket to a pa system I just have sitting around. The only problem is when the laptop is on the charge it has horrible fuzzy sound and I know it is cause the mains power is in. Is there anyway I can counteract this get rid of the problem?

Fully charge the laptop and then unplug it before you start recording. This will eradicate any earth loops etc... It also sounds like you're putting a line level signal (+4dB out of preamp) into a mic level socket (-10dB), so that probably accounts for some of the extra noise too. Outboard USB or firewire soundcard (don't know if Sony laptops have this as standard) will allow you to match the output of your preamp to the input of the PC.
Paul.

You're probably hearing interference from the AC because of poor shielding on the laptop's built in sound components, which would explain why you don't get the noise when running from the battery alone. Or it could be a ground loop - or both.

Either way, Paul's recommendation of using a USB audio interface is spot on - and you'll get better quality audio from even a modest dedicated interface than any onboard chip, not to mention much lower latency for your recording/playback - which will be a nice bonus.

.:EDIT:. You haven't explained why you are going through the laptop, but with this being in the Recording forum I assume that's what you're doing (recording)...?

Edited by Stuee

Yeah i'm just recording myself to be constructively critical. I think I'll try the usb thing, it is a pretty top of the range laptop so should have such a thing.

Another question: Does this happen with apple products? As much as I hate apple, I think I remember they have a special design for their battery? or something...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1113522' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:59 AM']I think most onboard soundcards are crap, so if you want decent quality you need an external interface anyway. I assume that applies to Macs too.[/quote]

MAC on board interfaces are ok miles better than PC, but The USB audio interface may solve the problem.

When I'm recording or live the USB interface is the only way. The headphone socket is not designed for it and the quality is miles better

[quote name='algmusic' post='1114031' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:54 PM']MAC on board interfaces are ok miles better than PC[/quote]
Apple use the exact same Realtek or Intel integrated audio chips as can be found on standard motherboards in other PCs (yes the Mac is a PC). They might shield them better than some manufacturers, but they are identical components.
I think most MacBook Pros use Intel High Definition Audio chips - nothing proprietary or superior about that.

[quote name='Stuee' post='1114087' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:24 PM']Apple use the exact same Realtek or Intel integrated audio chips as can be found on standard motherboards in other PCs (yes the Mac is a PC). They might shield them better than some manufacturers, but they are identical components.
I think most MacBook Pros use Intel High Definition Audio chips - nothing proprietary or superior about that.[/quote]

I guess that's my MAC snobbery kicking in LOL.. long day :-)

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' post='1114167' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:21 PM']I think that it may be shielded better maybe, but I refuse to buy a mac cause everyone who ownes one thinks they are better than you. But I will not get into my hatred for apple.[/quote]

he he.. it's really interesting, I was you till two years ago, then was rented to me use in a school for recordings etc..

never looked back... It's a funny world

My comment was totally an quick comment, I was actually gonna change it to it's shielded better, but someone replied before I got to.

I'm not usually like that.. I do think some mac users are arrogant. I'm just tired and grumpy today ;-)