Why become a member? ×

Propellerhead Reason & Record

Skol303

[quote name='bartelby' post='1310361' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:48 PM']I've got the beta of Reason 6, but have only spent about 20 minutes using it.

I guess they've merged Record into Reason.

The new toys are very nice!![/quote]

Nice one! (I'm jealous...).

Let us know how you get on with it once you've had chance to give it a proper test-drive.

I guess the merging of Record into Reason makes sense - a single product is probably much easier for them to market, plus it's perhaps less confusing for newcomers to Props software.

The update seems very reasonable to me at $99 (£65 ish), assuming you already own both Reason & Record. I could easily blow that on a single VST! :)

[quote name='Skol303' post='1310488' date='Jul 20 2011, 04:18 PM']Nice one! (I'm jealous...).

Let us know how you get on with it once you've had chance to give it a proper test-drive.

I guess the merging of Record into Reason makes sense - a single product is probably much easier for them to market, plus it's perhaps less confusing for newcomers to Props software.

The update seems very reasonable to me at $99 (£65 ish), assuming you already own both Reason & Record. I could easily blow that on a single VST! :)[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think I've used Reason since I updated to Reason/Record.

I hope to get a proper go with the Beta this weekend, I really want to hear a bass going through the Pulveriser and the Alligator.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1310598' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:47 PM']Im in love with reason. Mainly use the drums, kong, redrum, dr octorex. Going to order a midi keyboard soon to get the most out of it. Is record worth getting to use with it?[/quote]

If you're wanting to work with audio - i.e. plug in and record instruments - then Record is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

If you have both Reason and Record installed, then you can run all of the effects/plug-ins/instruments found in Reason within Record (if that makes sense?). So you can basically access the full Reason rack within Record, but also a bunch of additional features - like the Neptune pitcher, the Line 6 amp sim, etc.

Plus, the mixer that comes bundled with Record is [b]a lot[/b] better than the mixer in Reason!

The new Reason 6 is going to combine all of these features in a single package. But if you own Reason & Record, then you can upgrade to R6 very cheaply. There's a bunch of info about pricing on the Propellerhead website, include some free upgrade offers. Worth checking out if you're thinking about buying Record in the meantime:

[url="http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=buy"]http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/index...amp;article=buy[/url]

[quote name='bartelby' post='1310623' date='Jul 20 2011, 06:06 PM']...The Balance interface looks interesting too...[/quote]

It sure does.

However, I'm trying to avoid looking at it too much myself, as I already have a sturdy interface and want to avoid temptation! :)

I've only been recording my bass for 4 months or so now and have used GarageBand almost exclusively for it. I just like the price (free with a Mac! Or £8.99 for the latest version if you don't have iLife) and the simplicity of it. It does everything I need (for now) and just lets me get on with making music. I'll likely outgrow it at some point I'm sure but for now, it rocks.

However, I do think about whether I'm missing out by sticking with GarageBand. What would you say the added benefits of Reason/Record are over GarageBand? I usually record one instrument at a time, mainly my bass and sometimes a lead guitar and I use virtual instruments for drums (EZDrummer) and other things (Komplete Elements, Session Strings etc.). I spend a fair bit of time mixing each track together and applying any effects that are needed (reverb, chorus etc.).

I did notice that if you buy either Reason or Record 5 now then you get a free upgrade to Reason 6 which seems a fair deal...

[quote name='Mornats' post='1312990' date='Jul 22 2011, 05:15 PM']What would you say the added benefits of Reason/Record are over GarageBand?[/quote]

^ Good question... GarageBand is a great little piece of software - very easy to use - and if it's doing everything you need at the moment then my advice would be to stick with it until you start encountering limitations, or until you know exactly what you need from a home DAW.

Reason/Record are definitely a 'step up' from GarageBand in terms of sound quality, flexibility and overall 'professionalism'. In other words: you can do a lot more with Reason/Record and it'll sound better too. Record itself is a superb piece of software for recording and working with audio - arguably the best on the market (for the price), in my opinion.

But... I'm often guilty of getting all 'evangelical' about Propellerhead software :) ... and there are plenty of alternatives worth checking out too. Personally I'd also recommend having a look at Logic (if you own a Mac) and Reaper.

In all cases, the best approach is to try before you buy. Download the demo versions of Reason/Record, have a play with them and see if they fit what you're looking for. You can also download a demo version of Reaper (mentioned above) which has an unlimited trial period - well, sort of - so I'd recommend trying that out too (I use it myself for some projects).

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1315556' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:25 AM']Reason/Record are definitely a 'step up' from GarageBand in terms of sound quality,[/quote]

Not strictly true. FX and Synth bundles aside. The in/out sound comes from your Audio card, not the DAW.
How ever, which ever way you choose to destroy it with FX etc is another matter.

Reason 6 looks interesting, 64 bit at last, but i still can not see any mention of VST support anywhere.
Have i missed something? or have they not gone down that route again.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1315581' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:53 AM']... 64 bit at last, but i still can not see any mention of VST support anywhere.
Have i missed something? or have they not gone down that route again.[/quote]

Nope, still no support for external VSTs! Doubt there ever will be.

Honestly doesn't bother me... but I appreciate it might be a problem for other folks (it's a very common topic of contention on the Propellerhead forum). Weirdly, it seems to have become Reason's strong point, as well as its main downside. Either way, it's quite a ballsy decision for them to make.

I personally use Reaper if there's a VST I desperately need to get my hands on. But 99% of the time I'm able to achieve what I want within the confines of Reason itself. In fact, I find this 'limitation' quite helpful - it makes for a bomb-proof stable platform, and it means I'm very familiar with the effects/instruments that come bundled with it, and don't have to spend time learning new add-ons. But that's maybe just 'cos I'm lazy! :)

PS: good point about sound quality; my bad. All DAW's essentially have the same sound quality, as you mention - I see this cropping up time and time again when people say they can hear whether a track has been produced using Logic, Reason, Cubase, ProTools or whatever. Cheers for clarifying!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' post='1315742' date='Jul 25 2011, 02:06 PM']PS: good point about sound quality; my bad. All DAW's essentially have the same sound quality, as you mention - I see this cropping up time and time again when people say they can hear whether a track has been produced using Logic, Reason, Cubase, ProTools or whatever. Cheers for clarifying![/quote]

I think when people take the same Audio tracks into all the other DAW's for A/B testing, then say they sound different,
Is usually to do with how the panning law is set up in each DAW.

The VST thing is not really an issue i suppose, because of the 64 bit rewire function.
Running two DAW's together can get RAM intensive, but now not a problem with 64 bit of course.

Garry