Why become a member? ×

tech 21 VT bass

nipplebass

Bullsh!t! :) who told you that?

Thee VT bass is a character pedal. plug it in any bass amp, whether a solid state, hybrid or all tubes and you will get the same great effect. I wouldn't leave home without it but... having said that, in the case of my Ashdown Drophead, which in itself perfectly emulates the sound of an Ampeg B-15 I find that I don't need that pedal to achieve "the vibe" however it is useful if you want to get a gritty distortion, without cranking up the amp to high volume.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I use it in front of my tube preamp sometimes as an overdrive/distortion pedal. Don't see why it wouldn't work with an all tube head. It works better as a preamp than as an effects pedal, though. Try to plug the VT Bass straight into the Marshall's power amp. I bet it's gonna sound great! I love my VT Bass! I had an SVT Classic + 8x10 cabinet for years and this pedal is the closest you'll ever get from that sound without having to haul that monster around, or replace its tubes, etc. Even if in the end you don't like the sound of it in front, or into the Marshall, it's definitely a piece of gear that it's worth having for recording alone. Sounds wicked on tape! Sound engineers and producers are gonna love you.

cheers for the help guys! I love the total brutal power of the marshall but it's a lacking a little in top end so am fancying the vt to give me alot more tonal options plus the DI will be massivly handy for the bigger gigs we do, you know how sound guys can get when you ask em to mic up the bass haha

The VT really shines as a preamp - I use mine as a pre straight into a 200w tube slave. A lot of tones on tap, very versatile and heaps of volume on tap.
I love it.
As an OD it's also pretty sweet, but the knobs are a little touchy when you get the gain up to insane levels, but this is my only gripe - and it's a very minor one.
Awesome pedal.

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1112006' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:47 AM']Hey Guys!

Iam currently using a 76 marshall superbass and am quite fancying one of the new tech 21 VT pedals. I've heard a couple of people say that Tech 21 gear does'nt react to well with an all valve amp?

anybody got any experience with this?[/quote]

[b][i]I've heard a couple of people say that Tech 21 gear does'nt react to well with an all valve amp?[/i][/b]

Totally unfounded statement.

They work great with any amps all valve / hybrid and solid state.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1120896' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:48 PM']Not really worth a new thread, can someone let me know if the drive on these agrees with tweeters?[/quote]

Usually the problem players have with our pedals or any other for that matter has to do more with how the preamp of the host amp is set. If you scoop the mids, raise the treble and bass it's easy for the treble to become obnoxious. When using a full range cab with tweeters this can exacerbate the problem as these type of systems put back in the frequency content that most passive systems dial out. For the best results you are usually best off dialing in a more neutral tone on your amp when using the VT Bass pedal. If your amp has an efx loop you can bypass your bass amp's preamp completely and try it there as well. There is another way to utilize both your amp's preamp section and the VT Bass discretely through the same amp but it's a bit more involved and it depends on whether or not your amp has a suitable effects loop. Let me know if you want to know how.

The VT Bass or any of the other Character series pedals work fine in front of any valve or solid state amp. Many SVT users uses the VT Bass with these amps to obtain the overdriven sound an SVT produces but at more manageable volume levels.

The output of the Character series pedals is line level and should be able to drive most power amps.