Why become a member? ×

Anyone played a LowEnd Bass?

molan

I know there was a prototype LowEnd here on BC for a while but I wondered if anyone had tried one of the newer models?

I always seem to read good things about them on TalkBass - seem to be popular with gospel guys (always a good sign in my book).

They've been making T-Bird shapes for a while and now trying out some quite exotic tops which you never normally see on a T:

Or a nitro finish 5 string:

Shell pink:

Exotic topped Js:

I picked this lot because they are all in stock and for sale right now - I'm also heading for Nashville in April. . .

not played one, but I always liked the way they sounded after seeing this endorser video on you tube

Dan Lutz, the guy in the video was also a previous owner of my MTD as it happens. His LEJ (the one from the video) came up for sale on TB too, and I was seriously thinking of buying it, although I didn't want to feel like a stalker or anything :)

[quote name='molan' post='1108772' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:08 PM']I always seem to read good things about them on TalkBass - seem to be popular with gospel guys (always a good sign in my book). I'm also heading for Nashville in April. . .[/quote]

not sure the Tbird will be rocking many gospel services! :)

[quote name='molan' post='1108772' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:08 PM']I'm also heading for Nashville in April. . .[/quote]

oh dear! :)

The sound he has at the beginning of the clip is pretty much exactly how I think of LowEnds sounding based on review stuff I've read :)

I did wonder about the T-Bird as a gospel bass, lol.

I've got a bit of a 'blues corridor' trip coming up, could be dangerous - Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans. Will probably add some more stops in the delta before we hit NO :)

The Gibson factory tour is on the list, luckily I don't like their basses very much!

I love those T-birds -- particularly the first. They're great reversed headstocks.

Wish I was heading to Nashville with enough cash to buy :)

Edit: They cost around £2,000 before fancy woods, shipping, tax and duty.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

My sisters husband had a Low End LEJ5 for a while, and i was in love with it... very versatile.. i could dial in any, and i mean any tone.... was really light too.. really wanted to take it home....not sure about the T Bird.. there was a pink J on here that looked nice..

Dan Lutz is a monster player from what ive seen.. Loves his Gospel..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='molan' post='1108825' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:33 PM']The sound he has at the beginning of the clip is pretty much exactly how I think of LowEnds sounding based on review stuff I've read :lol:

I did wonder about the T-Bird as a gospel bass, lol.

[b]I've got a bit of a 'blues corridor' trip coming up, could be dangerous - Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans. Will probably add some more stops in the delta before we hit NO :D[/b]

The Gibson factory tour is on the list, luckily I don't like their basses very much![/quote]
Did a similar trip with a couple of mates about 15 years ago now. We all loved Nashville and Memphis, Clarksdale and Vicksburg were *interesting*, while N'awlins was sadly just like Blackpool, but with better food. We still chuckle about a few things that happened, like the lass serving in the Wendy's (IIRC) in Clarksdale who asked whether we were a band, bless 'er - unfortunately my mate told her it would be a very sad band if it had us in it, so we didn't get to sign any autographs (or get free burgers :) ). In the parking lot outside, we then got accosted by a couple of folks who, after checking the plates on the hire car, proudly declared "Ah, North Carolina, we thought we recognised the accent!". So, North Carolinians obviously speak broad Lankyshire... :) Finally in Vicksburg, can't remember the name of the bar, but they served the biggest, hottest, most awesomest Buffalo Wings I have ever eaten. Oh, and when a spot of trouble broke out in the parking lot, the barmaid reached under the bar and brought out what definitely appeared to us to be a genuine Luger pistol. Things quietened down pretty quickly... :P

Have a great time!!!