Why become a member? ×

help choosing a fretless

DaveB

Hey guys hoping for a bit of advice here. I'm going to enter the world of fretless bass but don't wanna spend loads on my first incase I don't continue with it. I was originally looking at the Squire VM fretless which i've played, feels and sounds good and get good reviews. Then Went into a shop yesterday and ended up playing a Crafter BA400EQ acoustic, I loved it. The guy in the shop also recommended, but didn't have in a Vintage (as in the company) Jaco model but having looked at the pictures I don't want the beaten up look.
These basses are all around the £300 mark, anyone have any experience or point me in the right direction here.
Cheers,
Dave

I might have something that's right up your street. I have a Yamaha BB 350F that I just don't use.

I bought it with the intention of prettying it up, but just haven't had the time.

It's a bit battered and bruised, it came to me with an awful pick up cover (binned) , bridge cover, (binned) and home made Pick up surrounds which aint too shabby.

Got a lovely lined neck, straight and true and it growls like a growly thing.

Give me a PM if interested and I'll take some Pics...I'd be looking for around £130

Well, I'd say it's worth a look around the ibanez collectors forum and ebay to see if you can get an old ibby. I got an 80s fretless for £180 and it sounds bloomin fantastic! Shame I can't get to grips with it still, but I shall persevere! :) Admittedly mine's a little beat up, but I've seen ones in pretty good condition go for under 300, definitely worth a look in any case!