Why become a member? ×

Strings to fit

Shawman

afternoon folks!

might seem like a daft question, but i'm lookng for some strings which will be long enough for my Schecter Hellraiser V. Thought it would be simple enough, went out and bought some EB's and turns out they don't fit, they fall about an inch short of the nut :) a fine waste of money! guess the long scale and the string through body is just a bit much for them

so before i go and spend another 30 bucks on some strings which don't fit, i'd like to see if anyone can make a recommendation

the only ones i know that will fit are D'Addario's which i'm not too fond of

cheers

(might be a free set of EB slinky's in it for ye too) :)

Edited by Shawman

i know how you feel. i think most comapanies long scale is max 34" with your average hardtail bridge. anything with a bridge tailpiece or as you say, string through is a pain to get strings for. some strings say extra long but i think they mean that there regulars are already extra short. i seem to remember warwick strings were ok and regular slinkys also long enough for my 34's. i'm actually going to deepen/lengthen a neck pocket for a customer, just so the strings he bought from the U.S will fit the bass. silk creeping over the nut slightly. bizarre way to go about things i know, but if he likes these strings, and they are real beauties, he's gonna have em.

Bought some Elixirs from Stringbusters recently for Overwater 6 string fretless.
They were short on the B & E string. (Long scale) Contacted Adam at Stringbusters.
He asked me to measure various parts of bass ie scale length, ball end to bridge, nut to machine head etc and he suggested the XL scale for Overwater.
Fitted and very pleased with them. Not cheap but they do last longer though.
One other issue is that they only do the XL B string in a taper ball end so some height adjustment will be needed.

Had the Overwater strings on for long period and they were pretty good however the low B string always sounded a bit flat in tone compared with other strings. This disappeared completely when I fitted the Elixirs although don't know whether its because of manufacturer or fact its a taper end. ?

Did email Overwater for new set 2-3 mths ago but no reply. ?
Only bought the bass from them last March 2010.
As stated previously suggest you phone them to order strings.

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers
Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

I have Overwater strings thru-body on my 35" scale Cirrus, and they're fine - it's my understanding they are made for Overwater by Picato, but I may stand corrected on that.

You'll also find that many (defo HiBeams) of the DR strings will fit 35" scale too.

I pretty much prefer old-ish dead strings, so 2 year-old Overwaters sound just fine to me!!! :)

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne