Why become a member? ×

Any advantages on 5 string jazz bass

robert43

Hi all I have just finished making a parts 4 string jazz bass & what I was wondering is the any advantage of a 5 string jazz bass over a 4 strong jazz bass.
By that question I mean the cost ratio vs the sound / playablity
Also with a 5 string neck does it feel really big compare to a 4 string neck thanks

[quote name='robert43' post='126739' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:49 AM']Hi all I have just finished making a parts 4 string jazz bass & what I was wondering is the any advantage of a 5 string jazz bass over a 4 strong jazz bass.
By that question I mean the cost ratio vs the sound / playablity
Also with a 5 string neck does it feel really big compare to a 4 string neck thanks[/quote]

Those low notes can be very useful.

I have a Warmoth 4 and a Warmoth 5. There wasn't much difference in cost as far as I recall.

I haven't found the neck width an issue, but the string spacing means you have to be a bit more careful when you thrash and flail.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='126749' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:01 AM']Basically, if you need the extended range, it's going to be worth the extra outlay. I've never found a five I really liked and completely got along with. I have however, got along instantly with my Yamaha 6-stringer. Go figure![/quote]
Interesting, someone once said to me it can be an easier switch from 4 to 6 because it is so different you're more conscious of it? That said i'm a terrible 6 string player, but fine on 5.

Whenever I'm playing with keys and horns I prefer to use a 5, just alittle more option for some of the keys those guys prefer. For guitar rock bands, I just stick with 4.

[quote name='gilmour' post='127490' date='Jan 25 2008, 02:04 AM']Whenever I'm playing with keys and horns I prefer to use a 5, just alittle more option for some of the keys those guys prefer. For guitar rock bands, I just stick with 4.[/quote]

+1 It's horses for courses - I use my fretless 5 with the big band and my fender P 4 with my blues rock trio - two different situations require two different approaches.

With regards the cost - I've never built a bass from parts but I'm sure you'd be able to put a 5 sting together for similar money to you 4, there are several dedicated places (well documented on here) that bits are obtainable from and there's always eBay too..