Why become a member? ×

good shops in birmingham

broomer

hey, im new so hi
but also im goin to birmingham in a week or so to get myself a new bass - im sooo looking forward to it. got a few in mind:

ibanez SR,Fender jag or geddy lee

but i was wondering more if anyone knew of any good shops in birmingham, other than soundcontrol????? preferably in a similar area.

[quote name='broomer' post='126553' date='Jan 23 2008, 11:42 PM']but i was wondering more if anyone knew of any good shops in birmingham, other than soundcontrol????? preferably in a similar area.[/quote]
City Music is just round the corner from Sound Control - go under the railway bridge and turn left and it's a couple of arches down.

There's a few along the Smallbrook Queensway, a couple of kilometres away from Sound Control.

There's also PMT, out along the ring road a bit.

If you go further afield, apart from the Crack Converters (apparently the Kings Heath one is quite good, keep meaning to drop in there), there's the Music Exchange in Stirchley which often has good stuff in. He had the nicest Squier Strat I've ever played in there a while back (a sampler made by a Korean factory when they were touting for business from Fender).

[quote name='tauzero' post='126574' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:29 AM']He had the nicest Squier Strat I've ever played in there a while back (a sampler made by a Korean factory when they were touting for business from Fender).[/quote]

Was it a red one ? If so my Dad bought it.

Plus yeah, out of the shops above I think PMT has the best range and great staff.

[quote name='tauzero' post='126574' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:29 AM']City Music is just round the corner from Sound Control - go under the railway bridge and turn left and it's a couple of arches down.

There's a few along the Smallbrook Queensway, a couple of kilometres away from Sound Control.

There's also PMT, out along the ring road a bit.

If you go further afield, apart from the Crack Converters (apparently the Kings Heath one is quite good, keep meaning to drop in there), there's the Music Exchange in Stirchley which often has good stuff in. He had the nicest Squier Strat I've ever played in there a while back (a sampler made by a Korean factory when they were touting for business from Fender).[/quote]

The last time I went back to Birmingham, just before Christmas I think, I did a tour of Crack Converters in Kings Heath (moved, gone downhill and seemed to have very little of any interest), PMT (still the best range in Birmingham), Sound Control (wish I hadn't bothered), City Music (also gone down hill, which is a shame - they used to keep a fair bit of high end stuff once upon a time, but don't seem to - had some G&Ls actually).
Music Exchange in Stirchley looks good, but it's always shut when I go past, never been into Fairdeal at the top of the Queensway (near the Selfridges/TK Maxx end of town), but looked in the window. There's another guitar shop in Sheldon on the Cov. Road (I think) and if you want to go out to Solihull, I think there's one there that used to be at the end of Stratford Road in Shirley.

I can't think of any others of the top of me head

i guess i dont have to go to birmingham, i live near worcester an bham seemed like a gd choice??

also anyone got any other ideas as for stuff i should look out for in the £500-£800 bracket, thin neck suits my girlishly small hands hense the geddy lee and the SR

+ 1 fpr PMT in Birmingham. Excellent stock, and friendly helpful staff. Easily the best service in Brum.

Otherwise, Sound Control have a pretty good stock, but the staff can seem a bit disinterested at times.

There's also Fairdeal Music, near the Bull ring. They have a reasonable range of stuff, and are pretty helpful. Haggle though - they will ususually move from marked prices.

The other shop worth a mention in City Music, just around the corner from Sound Control. They're small, and the bass stock is quite limited. They're friendly and helpful though, and its worth popping in if you're at Sound Control.

[quote name='Machines' post='126627' date='Jan 24 2008, 07:24 AM'][quote name='tauzero' post='126574' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:29 AM']
He had the nicest Squier Strat I've ever played in there a while back (a sampler made by a Korean factory when they were touting for business from Fender).[/quote]

Was it a red one ? If so my Dad bought it.
[/quote]

That's the one. Possibly the nicest guitar I've ever played, actually. Far more playable than the Parker Fly he'd got in for six times the money. I was tempted but I'm not a good enough guitarist to do it justice (the Variax 300 is fine for me).

[quote]+ 1 More for PMT. They have a beautiful Sandberg Jazz looky likey. Maple neck and fretboard, don't know what the body wood is. Around the £800 mark I think.

Staff are great also.[/quote]

It was most probably a Sandberg you were looking at! they are stockists.

And yes they are nice guys

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='126651' date='Jan 24 2008, 08:49 AM']There's another guitar shop in Sheldon on the Cov. Road (I think) and if you want to go out to Solihull, I think there's one there that used to be at the end of Stratford Road in Shirley.[/quote]
Yes, one on the Cov Road (Sheldon Music), one in Solihull town centre on Mill Lane off Mell Square, Express Music on the Stratford Road round the back of a supermarket, and how could I forget Hobgoblin Music on Digbeth (and Turners Violins upstairs from there if you want to check out some double basses).

[quote name='tauzero' post='127172' date='Jan 24 2008, 06:42 PM']That's the one. Possibly the nicest guitar I've ever played, actually. Far more playable than the Parker Fly he'd got in for six times the money. I was tempted but I'm not a good enough guitarist to do it justice (the Variax 300 is fine for me).[/quote]

I gave it a play in the new year, it does indeed play like butter ! I might steal it off him for a bit.

Express Music in Solihull (and Shirley) are truly hopeless for basses. They only stock cheapo basses (Johnson / AXL etc, the occasional MIM Fender) and there really hasn't ever been a single instrument in there i'd want. Also, their prices are usually above RRP and they won't budge on them.

That said - they have a nice range of Ashdown gear. I live only a couple of miles away so pop in fairly often in the hope they'll have something nice..

I need to pop into Sheldon Music to see what they have really since it's so close.