Why become a member? ×

Maya Precision Bass, Mid '70's Jap' Beauty.**sold**

phsycoandy

Great condition Maya Bass from I believe the mid 70's. Made in Japan. 40mm P size neck but nicely shallow so not too chunky. Really good condition as you can see, one or two minor scrapes, and a little buckle rash on the back. Looks all original including the MM type pickup, no extra routs, pickup appears to made in Germany by Schaller, and has a coil tap feature, all looks original. This really is in great condition, lovely tort guard. No bridge cover, pretty sure a Fender one would fit.

Plays fine and thumpy, badly needs some new strings, I've oiled the neck and cleaned her up, mended a loose solder joint and all works great, neck is fine, both rear of neck and fretboard are mint. [b]£160 plus £10 to ship[/b], comes in gig bag not the case pictured.

Edited by phsycoandy

Very nice - I've got one of these - in very ruff condition, awaiting a tart-up.

FYI that's not the original pickup but is an immense upgrade - mine has one of the little chrome single-coil jobs which look identical to the ones used in the neck position on a Telecaster! Yours looks a lot like a DiMarzio Model One to me.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1101406' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:23 PM']Very nice - I've got one of these - in very ruff condition, awaiting a tart-up.

FYI that's not the original pickup but is an immense upgrade - mine has one of the little chrome single-coil jobs which look identical to the ones used in the neck position on a Telecaster! Yours looks a lot like a DiMarzio Model One to me.

Jon.[/quote]
I beg to differ, this has Schaller stamped on the back and a sticker, and the original rout is original and untampered with as is the pick guard, perhaps this was a deluxe version! :)

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='1101411' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:28 PM']I beg to differ, this has Schaller stamped on the back and a sticker, and the original rout is original and untampered with as is the pick guard, perhaps this was a deluxe version! :)[/quote]
Interesting - don't think I've seen a Schaller like that before. However - differ all you want - that pup wasn't originally installed on this bass! Having seen the route, which is plainly original, I'd say it would have had one like this:

[attachment=69930:8polepup.jpg]

These are a lot better than the Tele-style ones & pretty common in the better-quality early Jap Ps & Js - obviously designed to be hidden under ashtrays, though! Here's a 70s P body fitted with one:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250759920082"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250759920082[/url]

I would imagine the scratchplate aperture on your bass has been been filed to accept the Schaller - you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if the work's been done well enough.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1101599' date='Jan 24 2011, 06:42 PM']Interesting - don't think I've seen a Schaller like that before. However - differ all you want - that pup wasn't originally installed on this bass! Having seen the route, which is plainly original, I'd say it would have had one like this:

[attachment=69930:8polepup.jpg]

These are a lot better than the Tele-style ones & pretty common in the better-quality early Jap Ps & Js - obviously designed to be hidden under ashtrays, though! Here's a 70s P body fitted with one:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250759920082"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250759920082[/url]

I would imagine the scratchplate aperture on your bass has been been filed to accept the Schaller - you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if the work's been done well enough.

J.[/quote]

Have to agree with Bassassin, that's not the original P/U.

[quote name='GeeCee' post='1101638' date='Jan 25 2011, 12:40 AM']Have to agree with Bassassin, that's not the original P/U.[/quote]
Me 'n' all.
And what a nice upgrade it looks too. If it were mine I'd be templed to bung in a few more switching options - single coil, series/parallel.

Edited by Ou7shined

Well, there are obviously more expert folk on here than me and I bow to their knowledge, but just include a pic of the whole body just to confirm there has been no extra routing or the like to accommodate the pickup, be that pickup original or not. Bonus inclusion original 70's curly lead (remember them) included free! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1101784' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:45 AM']Does the lead still have its original crackles? I'm not fussed if it's lost its hum, but without the crackles it's useless to me.

:)

Serious question: What does this bass weigh?[/quote]
Oh yes the cable has more hum than crackle, as good as ur guitarist single coils! :) And she weighs just 8.6 lbs.

Edited by phsycoandy