Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wood Filler For Neck Screw Holes

mojobass

looking at putting together a self build, ive got hold of a nice jazz neck (generic not fender) and its been mounted to previous bass. the screw holes dont line up with the body i'm gonna use so i ask...

whats the best filler to use to fil the original holes and that will be strong enough for me to drill new ones to re-fit the neck to my body?

cheers

None, you'll need to drill out the holes and plug them with dowels in the same wood and the neck and in the same grain direction, these would be glued in with animal glue. That's a big job, but worth it, although if the new holes don't intrude on the originals then just leave them open. Some fillers can be very strong and won't take screws without splitting/cracking.

[quote name='mojobass' post='1100704' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:57 PM']looking at putting together a self build, ive got hold of a nice jazz neck (generic not fender) and its been mounted to previous bass. the screw holes dont line up with the body i'm gonna use so i ask...

whats the best filler to use to fil the original holes and that will be strong enough for me to drill new ones to re-fit the neck to my body?

cheers[/quote]Cocktail Sticks, wooden Kebab skewers, small dowel rod or even a piece of wood whittled down to size - any of those tapped in to old holes with plenty of Wood Glue - Evo Stik Resin W highly recommended, small bottle about £2 from any hardware store. When dry clean off excess, sand flat & drill fresh holes.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1100724' date='Jan 24 2011, 01:06 PM']Cocktail Sticks, wooden Kebab skewers, small dowel rod or even a piece of wood whittled down to size - any of those tapped in to old holes with plenty of Wood Glue - Evo Stik Resin W highly recommended, small bottle about £2 from any hardware store. When dry clean off excess, sand flat & drill fresh holes.

Cheerz, John[/quote]
+1 but you forgot matchsticks.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1100985' date='Jan 24 2011, 04:28 PM']+1 but you forgot matchsticks.[/quote]
Aha! In my defence - I gave up smoking about 6 years ago so never seem to have matches laying around these days :)

Tooth picks?

[quote name='Stuee' post='1101019' date='Jan 24 2011, 04:53 PM']Have a look at this chaps, see what you think: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZIeDUPTf8&feature=related"]How to plug a screw hole in a guitar neck[/url][/quote]

Hey thats great

To be fair while they can be good for taking up the slack in oversized holes, matchsticks and cocktail sticks etc are too weak and not tight enough grained to be used as plugs to screw into when used with standard wood glue. Things like Kebab skewers which are made from hard woods (or sometimes bamboo) are ok but best of all are dowels.

I have used a laminate of cocktail sticks and superglue (which impregnates the wood then solidifies) to create a dowel but although it was successfully it still felt like a bit of a bodge.