Why become a member? ×

1x12 Cab Recommendations Please.

Soliloquy

My observations are that any cab will sound different with a particular amp and your own Bass.
As stated we love to Praise what we have just purchased, and so I thought I would add I now have two 12" EA M-Lines. These go deep without having to dig in. and they are light and small compared to some cabs, I’m Very happy (Generalising, I believe bigger cab designs actually sound better than those compromised smaller for the sake of it designs)

These two identical cabs sound great with the EA 350i Amp; I have also tried them with my Markbass LMK on the same Gigs and had to EQ it totally differently than with my usual 4X12" Techamp. With cut on both low mid and high mid. But sounded great. My Warwick SS1 5 which fills allot of space in the low mid was almost overpowering, ended up with no bass boost on bass or amp. With my Active Schack 5 which has a more natural tone was easier to control and needed some slight bass boost and no high mid cut.
Basically try everything and all combinations because it will all go out the window when you hit different venues, and you need to know which sits in the middle ground so you can find your sound.
So in a shop situation take your bass's along and change cabs keeping the amp bass combination, when you think you have found the best cab, slap a different amp on top or change your bass over.

Of course I didn't do any of this and just believed the sales blurb so know I have the best Cabs in the World...and I'm gunna sign out now before anyone tells me different....

Worth trying the EA M-lines though, they do produce a very nice B string without the EQ required on other cabs, but you will have to scoop your own mids on your amp.

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1104571' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:47 PM']Well I just ordered an Acme Low B-1, and I'll be ordering another one in a month or so.

It seems that nothing else can compete with them for clarity and 'lowness'.[/quote]

Great! As I said in my email, if you want the depth and clarity of the B2 in a smaller package there's no other option. I wanted that depth and clarity but louder and look what I ended up doing...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1105476' date='Jan 27 2011, 07:47 PM']Great! As I said in my email, if you want the depth and clarity of the B2 in a smaller package there's no other option. I wanted that depth and clarity but louder and look what I ended up doing...[/quote]

Hi Alex,

I really appreciated your honest reply to my questions. I know you have a lot of very satisfied customers, and you wouldn't have those if your gear didn't deliver.

I'm really considering a Big baby at some time in the very near future.

If I were in the UK- (or if BF cabs were here in AUS- hint hint Alex.....) I'd probly go for one of them. We've got a great Bergantino dealer here in AUS-George @ Bass Gear Direct- & if his Berg prices weren't SO good, I dunno if I would've got them new like I did.

I LOVE the Berg's tho. Everything from the NV215 to the AE112. Hard to go past Berg 12" cabs The HT & ER are great & the AE112 & 212 are superb also.

Having BareFaced cabs in my local would be probly one of the only reasons for me to think re a change.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1107785' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:47 AM']If I were in the UK- (or if BF cabs were here in AUS- hint hint Alex.....) I'd probly go for one of them. We've got a great Bergantino dealer here in AUS-George @ Bass Gear Direct- & if his Berg prices weren't SO good, I dunno if I would've got them new like I did.

I LOVE the Berg's tho. Everything from the NV215 to the AE112. Hard to go past Berg 12" cabs The HT & ER are great & the AE112 & 212 are superb also.

Having BareFaced cabs in my local would be probly one of the only reasons for me to think re a change.[/quote]

You can get Acme's in Australia :).

I'm lucky enough to own bergs and a BF midget T, and I've owned a BF compact, and a genz cab too. (And mark bass)
Ive owned these after moving from an immense trace stack, and a back up peavey stack, and even a back up-back up behringer stack?!!?
I've had trace heads, markbass heads, laney heads, and now a shuttle 9.0.
I've also discovered from playing some HUGE venues that the onstage sound is really just for me, and from backline only gigs that power usually wins over tone anyway.
over 55 basses owned, and lord knows how many amps, nineteen years of gigging lots in all sorts of bands.......

Bergantinos changed everything!!!!

Just the most amazing bass sound I've ever had, and so responsive to play through. I no longer feel I have to compromise tone for power. Stunning cabs! (I'm using AE210's).... They could be lighter though!
For carrying around I rely on my midget T. I'm not a fan of the tone at all, it's just not 'me' -a bit too 'traditional' I guess. But for having a cab I can literally carry in one hand for twenty minutes into town, with my bass, amp and cables, even a cheap, light zoom multi fx on my back, and KNOW will be loud enough when I get there, it's unreal!!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1107926' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:52 AM']For carrying around I rely on my midget T. I'm not a fan of the tone at all, it's just not 'me' -a bit too 'traditional' I guess. But for having a cab I can literally carry in one hand for twenty minutes into town, with my bass, amp and cables, even a cheap, light zoom multi fx on my back, and KNOW will be loud enough when I get there, it's unreal!![/quote]

Hi gaf,

I wasn't sure reading that if you meant your tastes are too traditional or the Midget sounds too traditional for you?

Frank.

Sorry. That wasn't my clearest post lol. iPhone typing :-/
I find the midget t sounds too traditional for me. It's hard to explain. It's a stunning bit of kit, I think it might be more the 12" driver tbh. It somehow makes my jazz basses played over the bridge pickup have some of the qualities I associate with the looser strung tension and 'plunk' of a presicion played over the pickup.

Bizarre I know?! And I'm sure it's just me! It's extraordinarily responsive to pickup changes. Backing one or the other off really changes the sound and boosts the volume. I find I rill the neck off much more when using the midget. It's a crazy little box!

Edited by gafbass02