Why become a member? ×

Where Are The Best Places To Play In The Uk

unimpressed alf

Hey!

Where are the cool places to play near YOU?? Im trying to sort out a whole load of gigs for my band all over the uk but not getting very far… myspace has gone from a shower of s__t to being a ghost town (not sure which is worse!?) so its really hard to find descent promoters who are still actively putting on nights.

I figured the best way to go about this would be to ask you guys for your local knowledge. What are the descent venues? Which promoters put on the best nights? Who are the pay to play promoters who don’t actually promote their own nights who are best avoided? Etc

Theres quite a few resources out there online but ive found a lot of them (like myspace) are now outdated, so it would be cool to start our own with up to date info :-D

I play in a heavy (kinda proggy) alt rock band with electronic overtones so if you know anywhere that’s specific to our kinda thing that would be AWESOME!! Either way I think a thread like this would really help all our fledgling unsigned bands get out and about round the country.

I'll get the ball rolling with…. [b]Manchester [/b]

[b]The Roadhouse[/b] - 200 capacity venue puts gigs on most nights of the week. I find this to be the most band friendly venue in manchester, the guys who run it (Jon and Lucy) are proper sound and they put on bands that work together etc

[email protected]

[b]Tuesday Tony Presents[/b] - weekly night (on a Tuesday) at the Thirsty Scholar off oxford road run by Tuesday Tony. Ideally for acoustic singer songwriter types but he does put full bands on. No pressure to bring a big crowd with you, its all pretty laid back. Free entry so you wont get paid but it’s a good crack!

[email protected]

[b]Leaf promotions [/b]- another guy putting on nights who's motivation is to put on good nights. Hes got a place in stockport (bakers vault) and has recently moved to retro bar in manchester city centre. Hes a good bloke who just wants to put on quality bands

[url="http://www.myspace.com/leafpromotions"]http://www.myspace.com/leafpromotions[/url]

I'll add 2 more for Manchester

Manchester Academy - The guys there gave us no problems, sounded decent and its not too bad of a venue.

Soundhouse (Bolton) - Also a nice venue, or atleast it was when i last played there. Been told it's gone abit downhill with cleanliness but i have no proof. Crackin' house PA and brilliant sound there aswell.

Liam

Newcastle upon Tyne

Contact Phil @ Insangel Promotions - He's always on the lookout for new bands and deals with some decent venues like Durham Live (in Durham City), The Three Tuns and Pumphrey's Cellar Bar.

Also 2 Far North, they promote nights at the Head of Steam and the O2 Academy in Newcastle as well as loads of other venues.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Barrowlands 2 in Glasgow. its in the same building as the main Barrowlands hall, its just the bar area with a stage, sounds great and holds a good few hundred

Soundhaus in Glasgow - it used to be good. not played there in a while but when i did it sounded pretty damn good, the sound engineer knows exactly what he's doing

Ivory Blacks - small stage, large hall. again sounds great and everyone knows it.

thats just a few of the places to play in Glasgow. most of the venues are promoted through KMR promotions.

Well Leeds is full of good venues and decent promoters.

A good one is Carpe Diem as it's free entry and right in the centre of town. Get in touch with a promotion group called Under the Radar or Andrei for the At The Crossroads night. Both on alternate Saturdays. No pay but always a decent size crowd and the customary free beer. Onstage sound can be a tad hit or miss but overall a nice place to deal with. And they put on all sorts.

Cockpit's a good venue and is mostly sorted through Andy at Futuresound Promotions. They generally require you to sell tickets but it's one of the better venues.

Brudenell Social Club is by far the best venue IMHO but getting a gig there can be tricky. Great place to play. they get alot of relatively 'successful' touring bands but its small and has a MASSIVE local community.

There's a bunch of other decent venues aswell but it would take an age to list them all with their promoters etc:

Milo's - city centre. Don't really put on metal but they love blues, indie, hip hop and punk
Smokestack - city centre. Funk, soul, hip hop, experimental
HiFi - city centre. Funk, soul, jazz, hip hop

These and the usual university rooms and O2 academy (unfortunately i wouldn't know;().

One last thing is a clubnight at The Library venue just outside town in Hyde Park. The night's called 360 and it's run by a chap called Richard Watson. He's the best promoter in Leeds and does loads for 'unsigned' local bands but he may well help out of town bands/artists too. He puts on loads of different styles but they generally sit well together.

Edited by theotherphiljones

[quote name='theotherphiljones' post='1099795' date='Jan 23 2011, 04:35 PM']Well Leeds is full of good venues and decent promoters.

A good one is Carpe Diem as it's free entry and right in the centre of town. Get in touch with a promotion group called Under the Radar or Andrei for the At The Crossroads night. Both on alternate Saturdays. No pay but always a decent size crowd and the customary free beer. Onstage sound can be a tad hit or miss but overall a nice place to deal with. And they put on all sorts.

Cockpit's a good venue and is mostly sorted through Andy at Futuresound Promotions. They generally require you to sell tickets but it's one of the better venues.

Brudenell Social Club is by far the best venue IMHO but getting a gig there can be tricky. Great place to play. they get alot of relatively 'successful' touring bands but its small and has a MASSIVE local community.

There's a bunch of other decent venues aswell but it would take an age to list them all with their promoters etc:

Milo's - city centre. Don't really put on metal but they love blues, indie, hip hop and punk
Smokestack - city centre. Funk, soul, hip hop, experimental
HiFi - city centre. Funk, soul, jazz, hip hop

These and the usual university rooms and O2 academy (unfortunately i wouldn't know;().

One last thing is a clubnight at The Library venue just outside town in Hyde Park. The night's called 360 and it's run by a chap called Richard Watson. He's the best promoter in Leeds and does loads for 'unsigned' local bands but he may well help out of town bands/artists too. He puts on loads of different styles but they generally sit well together.[/quote]

If your on facebook check out [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=571656709"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=571656709[/url] - He puts nights on at various venues around Leeds, including Milos.

LeedsMusicForum.com is a good place to look up Leeds based promoters/bands