Why become a member? ×

Pedal To Merge Signals?

xgsjx

Is there a pedal that will allow me to merge 2 mono audio signals (well, one stereo out as 2 1/4 jacks) with individual levels & in/out switches to one mono audio out (as 1/4 jack)?

I've looked at countless things from the Boss LS-2 to the [sfx] S&M (looks like a brilliant little pedal), but not found what I'm after. Basically I want a two channel mono mixer with stomp buttons for IN/OUT.

My plan is to arrange my board as such...

Bass into Bass MuRF, it is a filter array that can be used in stereo. One channel (Left) will put out the frequencies around 110hz & below, 240hz, 525hz & 1.2 kHz, the other channel (Right) puts out the frequencies around 160hz, 350hz, 775hz & 1.8kHz & above.

My plan is to put the Left channel straight to one side of the "mixer" pedal (Maybe with an octaver in that line if I get one), so just the frequencies at 110hz & below can go unaffected to the amp & then the right channel will go through the fuzz, chorus & LPF (I will probably experiment putting fx in either line :) ). The 2 signals then get merged back to mono & straight into my combo.

I have a desktop mixer that I'm dying to try this through, but so far just haven't had the time, but if it works, I'd like to get a pedal for the job (or make one, as I was looking at simple passive 2 channel mixer schematics & I could easily adapt it with foot switches).

Any ideas?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1095860' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:36 AM']Is there a pedal that will allow me to merge 2 mono audio signals (well, one stereo out as 2 1/4 jacks) with individual levels & in/out switches to one mono audio out (as 1/4 jack)? (...)[/quote]

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a 2 channel mixer with two footswitches to turn on / mute the two channels.

I should be able to put together something for you. Essentially, it is a [sfx] S&M without the split section (the jacks on the right side) and with a switching system for the mix section (jacks on the left side).

Alternatively, you can remove the EQ and use a [sfx] X&M.

If you send me an email we can discuss it further.

Edited by Silent Fly

Cheers guys,

Mr Foxen & Dan, I'll have a look at the LS-2 & see if it's gonna be a viable option with muting switches.

Ruck, I've read your post & sounds like I've a fun journey ahead!

SilentFly, I've had a look at a few of the current pedals you make & they look very impressive. If it's a goer, I shall be in touch with you first before going with anything else. It may be a few months to a year away tho as I have a house to sell before I buy anything :)

I still haven't managed to get time to hook the mixer up to see if it's gonna be a worthwile quest, but I hope to get it set up either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm not sure if this is what i'm trying to do, i don't normally do effects until now. I want to have one bass guitar signal in, then going to my effects unit and i want a seperate a clean signal direct to the amp that bypasses the effects entirely...basically a mix between straight clean signal to my amp and and one going to the effects. I've got this this Behringer pedal that i haven't tried out yet, namely a AB200 A/B switch, not sure if this i going to allow me to do this? As i say i want to be able to switch my effects in and out whilst still maintiaining a clean signal direct to my bass amp...ideally this will be switchable also so that i can run just the effects signal if needs be. Not sure if this is the same thing as yours, so if not...i'll cut and paste a new thread here....i'm quite confused although i'm sure its simple (but then so am i) :)

Edited by Rasta

Well I managed to get a little time to get this set up. I was one jack to jack short :) so left the chorus out.
I took the left channel from the Murf straight to the mixer & the right channel went into my cheapo distortion pedal & then into the LPF.

The right channel was set just to put out 350hz & 775hz & a small amount around 240hz & a small amount of distortion applied.

Th results are very good, pedal closed & I get just the right channel coming through giving me a nice clear bass sound (as if just having the murf on it's own & killing the 240hz, 350hz, 775hz & 1.8khz with the 110hz full & the remaining set about 1/2 way& then using the pedal allowed me to fetch in the other frequencies slightly distorted (or chorused) & with a bit extra resonance from the LPF allowed me to create some good rock sounds where I could add in distortion for when an instrument drops out but need to keep the energy, or for creating tremendous techno/DnB sounds & using the exp pedal fairly rapidly to control the filter up/down on each note.

The good thing about this is adding the distortion doesn't cut any bass frequencies as they're going straight to the mixer :)

When I get another chance to do this I'll plug it into my mac & record the results. By the time I set it all up today I had only 15 mins to play :lol: