Why become a member? ×

Zoom Q3-HD recorder

Happy Jack

I don't normally offer an opinion on a piece of kit until I've had it for a while, but a number of Basschatters asked about the new Q3-HD when I mentioned I was going to buy one, so here's a quickie.

I reserve the right to amend this later once I have more experience with the unit. :)

If you're already familiar with the original Q3 then skip the next bit.

[size=3][b]Zoom Q3 Handicam[/b][/size]

This was launched in 2009 to provide a quick'n'easy way of making YouTube videos. The idea was simple: Zoom already made the H2 audio recorder (you already know all about that) so why not take an H2 and add a decent mobile phone camera?

The Q3 is supplied with a very brief manual, a pair of cheap batteries, and a 1Gb SD card pre-formatted with Zoom's proprietary Handishare software. That's it. No power supply, no carry case, no tripod, just the absolute bare essentials you need to use it.

If you want to use the Handishare software, then you need to install it on your PC too. The Q3 has an in-built USB connector to allow you to do that. The installation is simple.

GOOD: The Q3 does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a more-or-less idiot-proof tool, ideal for most bands. You can use it with ease at a rehearsal or a gig, both video and audio quality are good enough for normal YouTube applications in the small viewing window. It's small enough to fit in a pocket, and seems pretty robust.

BAD:
* Use full-screen mode to view the results and the limitations of the lens become very obvious ... the definition really is pretty poor.
* It's a fixed lens, with no zoom function (which is about as ironic as you can get, really).
* As with a lot of Zoom kit, the User Interface can be difficult to navigate if you need reading glasses and if you're no longer a teenager.
* Not only does it go through batteries at a serious speed, but the battery access involves using a distressing amount of force. This is a tool which should really be mains-powered.

MAYBE: I don't like or use proprietary [b][i]anything [/i][/b]if I can avoid it so I was never going to get on with Handishare. I prefer to convert the files from .MOV to .WMV and/or .MP4 and edit them afterwards. YMMV.

I decided I couldn't live with the low quality (I knew what I was buying when I bought the Q3, so there's no criticism intended there - I just changed my mind) or with the lack of a zoom function. I played a charity gig before Xmas where I recorded all six bands on the Q3, but the layout of the room meant that the Q3 was further from the stage than I wanted, and the results are accordingly a bit indistinct.

[size=3][b]Zoom Q3-HD Handicam[/b][/size]

In the main, exactly the same comments apply as for the Q3 (except that the SD card is 2Gb instead of 1Gb). They've changed the design a little to show off the microphone capsule better, and they've changed the colour from blue (which I really rather liked) to a very predictable silver.

BUT they have also sorted out three of my four 'Bad' areas, which is pretty impressive.

* The HD lens makes as big a difference as you'd expect. Watching full-screen on the 22" HD television that I use as a PC monitor I can see some pixellation, but I have to look for it. And I'm sitting two feet from the screen. I suspect that this will make for really good YouTube videos.
* The 4x zoom function is simple and effective, and the impact on quality of the picture is surprisingly small.
* The user interface now makes proper use of the LCD screen on the back of the unit, and looks a bit like the Apps on a smart phone. It's a vast improvement and much easier to navigate.

A further change is that you now watch playback on the Q3-HD with it rotated onto its side, again in a smart phone sort of way. This means that you get a much better idea of what you just filmed, and in the correct aspect ratio.

Sound quality is completely unchanged - i.e. it's very good.

However, if you want to use it as an audio recorder you need to be aware that it records in .M4A format which (AFAIK) isn't recognised by any software except Quicktime, another POS product that I loathe, and that QT won't allow you to save it in any other format unless you buy Quicktime Pro. It's easy to see why Apple are so loveable, isn't it?

If you want to record in .WAV or .MP3 format, use a dedicated audio recorder, [i][b]not [/b][/i]the Q3 or Q3-HD.

I ran a 30-minute test video recording while I noodled on bass and that went to just over 1Gb. That was using whatever resolution had been factory pre-set. At roughly 2Gb an hour of recording, and able to handle SD cards up to 32Gb, running out of storage is unlikely to be an issue, though the numbers will change depending on how high-quality you want the image.

One factor in choosing this unit was that it does NOT use micro-SD cards ... the full-sized ones are already quite small enough for me, thank you. :)

I used the unit straight out of the box, with no attempt to "learn" how to use it - literally plug'n'play. I had no problems at all and didn't need to swear once. Obviously it helps that I've had a Q3 previously, but I doubt that most people would struggle with it.

Brilliantly simple, and simply brilliant. I'm happy to recommend the Q3-HD.

Edited by Happy Jack

Excellent! - I'm happy to hear of your findings sir! - Have you also found improvement in the ability to record in low light conditions, as I understood that it was an area of weakness in the original Q3.

One of the things I *really* like about the Q3 reviews so far is that unlike most camera 'phones and a lot of digi cams, it doesn't distort loud music. Watch this vid from 1.15

The guy is beating the poop out of his kit and there's no break up. That would be excellent for me when recording rehearsals (in stereo too) direct to the Q3HD.

Thanks for the review HJ!

[quote name='dood' post='1090857' date='Jan 15 2011, 08:45 PM']Have you also found improvement in the ability to record in low light conditions, as I understood that it was an area of weakness in the original Q3.[/quote]

I haven't tested it yet, but that's something they've changed too. There's a new set-up screen called 'Scene' where you can have the light level determined AUTO-matically, or select NIGHT for low lighting levels, or CONCERT LIGHTING for very bright lights.

I don't yet know how 'clever' these settings are or whether they are dynamic in any way. I'm currently guessing that this is just a fancy way of describing setting the camera to Lo/Hi ...

While re-reading the very short manual, I've also spotted what I skipped before which is the option to change both the image quality and the sound quality. I'll edit my original review to correct that.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1091331' date='Jan 16 2011, 01:22 PM']You could also give this web service a go...

[url="http://www.convertfiles.com/"]http://www.convertfiles.com/[/url][/quote]

I'll try that one during the week - the Q3-HD is now in the studio and I've brought my H2 home, so I'll run up some "proper" soundclips maybe tomorrow evening.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1091370' date='Jan 16 2011, 02:03 PM']For media file conversion, I swear by Format Factory. It's freeware & converts just about anything into anything else, including M4A.

[url="http://www.formatoz.com/"]http://www.formatoz.com/[/url]

Pete.[/quote]

Thanks Pete, but too many fleas.

I detest freeware that brings loads of unwanted add-ons and toolbars with it.

I appreciate that these are easily dealt with if you know what you're doing ... but I don't know what I'm doing!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1090892' date='Jan 15 2011, 10:27 PM']I haven't tested it yet, but that's something they've changed too. There's a new set-up screen called 'Scene' where you can have the light level determined AUTO-matically, or select NIGHT for low lighting levels, or CONCERT LIGHTING for very bright lights.

I don't yet know how 'clever' these settings are or whether they are dynamic in any way. I'm currently guessing that this is just a fancy way of describing setting the camera to Lo/Hi ...

While re-reading the very short manual, I've also spotted what I skipped before which is the option to change both the image quality and the sound quality. I'll edit my original review to correct that.[/quote]
Any test on low light conditions? I sold my Q3 because in most gigs the light was low and the video recording was bad, so I ended up using it as a recorder.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1091849' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:23 PM']I'll try that one during the week - the Q3-HD is now in the studio and I've brought my H2 home, so I'll run up some "proper" soundclips maybe tomorrow evening.[/quote]

How does the audio on the Q3hd compare to the H2? I've been considering both, mainly for recording my bands rehearsals. The rehearsal studio we use has it's own backline set up around the room with the obvious place to record right in the middle. Looking at the marketing material and YT reviews of both units, the Q3hd looks like it might be better when facing the sound source wherea the H2 can go in the middle as it can record all around. Obviously the Q3hd has video which reports vary from ok to poor but that's not my main concern but if the Q3hd copes well with 'surround sound' then the video may be a useful bonus and worth the extra expense. Assuming the area infront of the Q3hd mic capsule dominates the recording, could things be improved by placing it horizontally either facing up or down?

As far as I can make out, they use the same audio capsules. Certainly the quality is pretty much identical.

The H2 has the ability to record front / behind / surround, whereas the Q3 HD is front only, but playing in rock bands I find the option that works for me is front anyway.

The business of the backline in your rehearsal room being distributed around the room probably isn't as important as you think. Bass isn't directional, and drums not particularly so. Put the H2 / Q3 against the wall fairly high up near the bass and drums, with the guitars facing the unit's mics, and you should get decent results.

An absolute must with these small recorders is one of those flexible tripod thingies, e.g.

[url="http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/14397719/Mini-Octopus-Flexible-Camera-Tripod-White/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:14397719|prd:14397719"]http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/143...19|prd:14397719[/url]

The recorders all have camera-type tripod sockets on the bottom, so it's dead easy to attach them to light fittings, curtain poles, etc. Not much use with the Q3 if you want to use the video option, but perfect as an audio recorder and much harder for punters to nick at gigs. :)

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1237476' date='May 19 2011, 09:58 PM']As far as I can make out, they use the same audio capsules. Certainly the quality is pretty much identical.

The H2 has the ability to record front / behind / surround, whereas the Q3 HD is front only, but playing in rock bands I find the option that works for me is front anyway.

The business of the backline in your rehearsal room being distributed around the room probably isn't as important as you think. Bass isn't directional, and drums not particularly so. Put the H2 / Q3 against the wall fairly high up near the bass and drums, with the guitars facing the unit's mics, and you should get decent results.

An absolute must with these small recorders is one of those flexible tripod thingies, e.g.

[url="http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/14397719/Mini-Octopus-Flexible-Camera-Tripod-White/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:14397719|prd:14397719"]http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/143...19|prd:14397719[/url]

The recorders all have camera-type tripod sockets on the bottom, so it's dead easy to attach them to light fittings, curtain poles, etc. Not much use with the Q3 if you want to use the video option, but perfect as an audio recorder and much harder for punters to nick at gigs. :)[/quote]

Thanks for that. Already got a Joby - they are fantastic. I was favouring the H2 but not so sure now. As the audio quality sounds similar, in your opinion is the video on the Q3hd worth the extra cash? also, can the screen be turned off for more covert recording/prolonged battery life?

[quote name='Booooooom' post='1238143' date='May 20 2011, 01:39 PM']As the audio quality sounds similar, in your opinion is the video on the Q3hd worth the extra cash?[/quote]

Depends entirely on you, and what you're trying to achieve.

[quote name='Booooooom' post='1238143' date='May 20 2011, 01:39 PM']Can the screen be turned off for more covert recording/prolonged battery life?[/quote]

You can select Audio Only. Whether or not that prolongs battery life I can't say with any certainty. It seems likely.