Why become a member? ×

Fake serial number issue - help!

Lysdexia

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1092538' date='Jan 17 2011, 02:32 PM']Yes, thats what I meant, See what I mean though, that looked dodgy to me pretty much immediately.
Also, the "Les Paul" silkscreening is too light, and the "MODEL" is slightly offset to the right.
TRC sides are too rounded with not enough white showing, and "Standard" is too fat.
Also, shouldn't an '85 LP have a fibre headstock veneer? I swear I can see woodgrain under the clearcoat...
Buttons look too white, but thats probably the lighting/photoshopping

Are those photos you posted yours or his?[/quote]

To my untrained eye, the "MODEL" is in exactly the same place as the LP in the picture that Johnston posted. Using that as a comparison as well as other Google images of an 85' LP Standard, I see your other points fairly clearly.

Lysdexia - have you posted this on the LP forum that's been mentioned above? It sounds like the Argentine is trying it on big time, but there may be reason to clarify the authenticity of the guitar.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1089658' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:43 PM']I have a debit card from an account that I don't keep money in on my Paypal account.

I don't trust people, if someone lodges a dispute then Paypal will automatically remove money from your account and hold onto it until the matter is sorted out. They can't do that to me :) .

This highlights the problems with Ebay's policy of holding onto money from some sales until positive feedback is left.[/quote]

They can take your account into debit even if you don't have an agreed overdraft and it is a debit card.

These are the details of the only authorised Gibson dealer in Argentina.

Import Music Argentina S.A.
C1042ABD Buenos Aires
Sarmiento 1526
Argentina
Website: [url="http://www.importmusic.com.ar"]http://www.importmusic.com.ar[/url]
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 54 11 4370-4000
Fax: 54 11 4370-4005
Authorized For: All GMI product lines

Surely he should take the guitar there and get it checked out. If he can send you a report on their headed paper, and allow you to call them to verify the letter, you'll know where you stand.

[quote]The serial number in question is as follow: 80645481

According to an online checker, that serial number indicates that it belongs to a guitar made at the Kalamazoo Plant on March 5th, 1985.[/quote]

That serial number definately seems wrong.

yes, it dates it to kalamazoo, 1985, but the kalamazoo factory stopped producing Gibsons in late 1984.

According to Gibson, they kept the same numbering system until 1989.

So theoretically that serial number should not exist.

Of course Gibson are known for their exceptions; and there is misinformation in the serial number info out there, but I would also be asking very big questions if I had bought this guitar.

Edited by evilLordJuju