Why become a member? ×

Ibanez TS9B Bass Distortion

ArgyBargy

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1183066' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:31 AM']This debate has come up a number of times and in part at least, I do agree with the merits of true bypass, especially in the event of a power mishap. However, I think you underrate the quality of buffered bypass; I've found with the majority of Boss pedals to suffer little if no tone loss at all and furthermore, if you are using a number of pedals without a buffer you will suffer great signal loss. Yes, the bypass on my Korg G5 is appalling, but that I've got it in a loop anyway. The bypass' on the Boss, EHX, MXR and EBS which I use are very clean and I have no issues in chaining 10/11 of them together.

[b]Doesn't the TB pop ever annoy you?[/b][/quote]

None of my pedals do the "pop" you're refering to, what some do is a rather annoying "click" everytime you step on them (the click is from the switch itself and doesn't come out in my amp but in some recordings the drum mics have captured it...) but when i find some time i'll open up my Pitchblack and see what switch he's using and try and see if it will fit in my other pedals. If it's possible i'll change all the switches, the Korg one is completely noiseless!

Still GASing for the TS9 but i'm waiting for a DIY clone of the Fulltone, compact and only one channel - still cheaper than the Ibby - and will probably put my order on a pickle pie this week so it will have to wait a bit more.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1183066' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:31 AM']I've found with the majority of Boss pedals to suffer little if no tone loss at all.[/quote]

I must have been unlucky, I've owned a DD3, TU2, PS5 and a BF2. The first 2 were great but the last 2 were really bad for altering tone. You could hear the PS5 changing the sound when it was switched off and you turned the mode control. Shame, as it was a really good sounding pedal and would have been great in a loop. Fortunately the BF2 isn't as bad and I really love the sound so it's had a decent run on my board.

Quick question. Does the footswitch on the TS9B switch when your foot presses ON the pedal when you pull your foot away?

I know it's picky, but I think I used an Ibanez or Maxon once which worked that way, and didn't like it. My green big muff does it too, and it just feels wrong to stomp on a pedal like that.

rich

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1188075' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:19 PM']I must have been unlucky, I've owned a DD3, TU2, PS5 and a BF2. The first 2 were great but the last 2 were really bad for altering tone. You could hear the PS5 changing the sound when it was switched off and you turned the mode control. Shame, as it was a really good sounding pedal and would have been great in a loop. Fortunately the BF2 isn't as bad and I really love the sound so it's had a decent run on my board.[/quote]

Well I must confess to not having used the PS5 or BF-2, but had no problems with any of the folling: TU-2, DD-6, DD-3, DD-20, BF-3, OC-3, ODB-3, CEB-3, RV-3, RV-5. The list goes on!

[quote name='ritch' post='1193761' date='Apr 9 2011, 01:29 PM']Quick question. Does the footswitch on the TS9B switch when your foot presses ON the pedal when you pull your foot away?

I know it's picky, but I think I used an Ibanez or Maxon once which worked that way, and didn't like it. My green big muff does it too, and it just feels wrong to stomp on a pedal like that.

rich[/quote]

I've never used an Ibanez pedal so I'm not sure. I ordered an '83 flanger off e-bay from the US which never turned up and it's put me off their pedals for life. It's a little odd but I just see and £80 shaped hole whenever I see pictures of them.....

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1193925' date='Apr 9 2011, 05:40 PM']Well I must confess to not having used the PS5 or BF-2, but had no problems with any of the folling: TU-2, DD-6, DD-3, DD-20, BF-3, OC-3, ODB-3, CEB-3, RV-3, RV-5. The list goes on![/quote]

Like I say, my experience with Boss pedals is suprisingly limited for someone who's been playing for nearly 15 years so maybe I've just picked the bad few but I definately noticed the problem I mentioned and a roll-off of the high end with the BF-2. Good to know the RV-5 is alright though as I've had a hankering for one of those for a while.